Rheem Heat Pump blowing Reversing Solenoid

I have a 12yo Rheem Heat Pump that the HVAC tech can't figure why it is shorting out the reversing valve solenoid. It has been replaced twice and is out again. The tech is saying that he can't find any other electrical problem and that they are done trying to fix it. He says They'll give me credit from the repair bill toward a new system. Does anyone have any ideas on the cause?

-------------------------------------

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.hvac - 27303 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
ddutton

My idea is that you are a dumbass if you keep having the same company look at it. Dumbass.

I am the real ftwhd and I approve this message.

Reply to
ftwhd

Find a new tech. The one you had is an idiot.

Reply to
The King

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.hvac - 27311 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
ddutton

Awww such a sad story. Here, have a lollipop.

Reply to
The King

Bipolar_Bear

.. And now with pictures! (source document) Good tech Document.

-zero

Reply to
zero

Rheem uses different voltage coils...depending on the application... Post model and serial number so I can make sure you have the correct part number for the coil

Reply to
Noon-Air

Thats all well and good *IF* the coil is the correct voltage in the first place.

Reply to
Noon-Air

ddutton had written this in response to

: Model # RPMA-042JAZ Serial# 5104G409600055

The first solenoid looked melted around the harness and it took out the thermostat and transformer through the comm> "ddutton" wrote in

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.hvac - 27388 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
ddutton

ddutton had written this in response to

: Model # RPMA-042JAZ Serial # 5104G409600055

The called me today and came out on his day off to go back over everything. He checked the operation of the defrost board and then went over the wiring again. The first solenoid looked melted around the connection to the harness. The other 2 were just cracked. Each of the replacements initially worked but would go out within 5-6 hours.

------------------------------------- No> "ddutton" wrote in

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.hvac - 27388 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
ddutton

:

The correct number for the solenoid coil is 61-22883-81. The tech needs to make sure he has the correct coil. Has the defrost board ever been replaced?? If so, was it the correct OEM board?? or did the tech use a generic or "fitzall" board?? There are only 2 boards that are correct for that heat pump... the timed defrost board, and the demand defrost upgrade.

Reply to
Steve

ddutton had written this in response to

:

The defrost board had been replaced a couple of years ago. I'm sure it was a generic board because they had to come back out a second time to ground it and it is wired in a little different than originally. The tech was looking hard at that but when he forced it in to defrost mode he said it worked right and had the correct voltage. He was talking about replacing it anyhow with an OEM. Thanks to all with constructive feedback. I'll pass this information on to the tech.

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.hvac - 27400 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
ddutton