Heater controller making it cold in here?

----- I have a gas furnace, comfortmaker RPJ2 and suspect that it needs a new controller general 90 50A50-110 replacement number is 50A55-843 symptom: The igniter works and burns bright, but intermittently the burners will not ignite and the the blower will just keep blowing as the house gets colder. Recycling the power to the unit seems to fix this for a while. Is there a good test I should do?

Also, Is there any local place in northern Virginia preferably Sterling/ Herndon/Leesburg that I can get one of these? or HVAC parts in general?, all I can come up with is mail order.

Thanks, crzzy1

------

Reply to
cozzmo1

I suspect your diagnosis is inaccurate.

Reply to
KJPRO

Lets keep this real simple.... How do you know its the board??

Reply to
Steve

---------- Sorry I haven't gotten back to all the responses yet. The heat has been working It seems to have only flaked out for a few times there. So I suspect that it will be OK until it gets really cold. :) I don't really know that it is the board,

Since the ignitor works (at least visually), and the fan works, and I have checked all the connections, it seems to only leave 2 likelyhoods, the gas valve and the controller. (Let me know if you suspect any others that fit the symptoms). From previous posts, it seems to be more likely the controller.

I don't have an inline amp meter to "amp test" the ignitor, but I replaced it 2 years ago and it sure is bright, I don't see how that could not ignite gas if it was present.

I suppose I will have to wait for the problem to reoccure to test it again, so let me know if there are any tests I can prepare myself for.

Also if there is a 75% chance that it is the controller I would be willing to accept that risk and just order it, (because that will take days and I would rather do it now than when the problem crops up again).

Thanks, Crzzy1

--------

Reply to
cozzmo1

[...]

So in other words, your just guessing and have absolutely no clue as to what the actual problem is. I can't see it or test it over the internet. Your best bet is to call a *competent* tech to correctly diagnose and repair the furnace. The cost of the tech will probably be less that what your going to spend on a board that may or may not be what the problem actually is.

[...]

====================

No amp meter... Then you lack the *other* test equipment to properly diagnose your equipment. No problem, that's why there are HVAC companies in your area. They're trained to test and locate problems with heating and cooling equipment. Then after you approve the repair, they repair your equipment so you have a comfortable home to live in... simple as that.

If you want to purchase parts... no problem, how many of each component would you like? Might as well change everything and have a spare for the next time. I'm sure this is cheaper.... lol

Reply to
KJPRO

But W/R's boards are cheap... lol

Reply to
KJPRO

.

haha... I kind of knew this would be the reply. Replacing several parts is still cheaper than calling a tech. $200 vs $700

I suspect that given the symptoms, there are a few good educated guesses out there. and a couple of quick tests.

Because I am lacking one tool doesn't mean I don't have every other tool to do the job. (I was a mechanic for a long time). I won't tell a person he can't replace a muffler because he doesn't possess an acetylene torch, Nor will I say he lacks the skill necessary. If I caved every time someone said to call a pro, I would have never learned to install water heaters, or fix plumbing/drywall or repair cars for that matter.

Thanks, crzzy1

Reply to
cozzmo1

haha... I kind of knew this would be the reply. Replacing several parts is still cheaper than calling a tech. $200 vs $700

I suspect that given the symptoms, there are a few good educated guesses out there. and a couple of quick tests.

Because I am lacking one tool doesn't mean I don't have every other tool to do the job. (I was a mechanic for a long time). I won't tell a person he can't replace a muffler because he doesn't possess an acetylene torch, Nor will I say he lacks the skill necessary. If I caved every time someone said to call a pro, I would have never learned to install water heaters, or fix plumbing/drywall or repair cars for that matter.

Thanks, crzzy1

You do what you gotta do. We can't *SEE* it through the computer, and I for one don't want to be responsible for that kind of liability.

Reply to
Steve

.

Warning - run-on one sentence answer. :-) Oh yeah all that liability, like I would jump through your monitor and sue you over the Internet because I risked a paltry $120 on a part instead of spending many times that on a pro that will make a guess (based on what he has in the trunk), and then when he's wrong I will have to wait for him to come back and pay him to take another guess. (Don't say it doesn't happen all the time). Not to diss the pros out there, there are a few amateurs that call themselves pros though.

Reply to
cozzmo1

Warning - run-on one sentence answer. :-) Oh yeah all that liability, like I would jump through your monitor and sue you over the Internet because I risked a paltry $120 on a part instead of spending many times that on a pro that will make a guess (based on what he has in the trunk), and then when he's wrong I will have to wait for him to come back and pay him to take another guess. (Don't say it doesn't happen all the time). Not to diss the pros out there, there are a few amateurs that call themselves pros though.

---------------------------------------

Sorry, I am an engineer, not an english major. As for the wannabe techs, yeah, they are everywhere. Look for a company that has been in business for several years. The wannabes are usually gone by the time their ads hit the phone book.

Reply to
Steve

Isn't english and required course in engineering? :)

Are you in the engineers registerer like Don is?

I doubt any wannabe is going to spend over a grand a month on phone book ads. In my area every category, a/c, heat, boiler, ect is separate and costs big bucks for each one per month. Its also a huge waste of cash.

Reply to
The King

haha... I kind of knew this would be the reply. Replacing several parts is still cheaper than calling a tech. $200 vs $700

I suspect that given the symptoms, there are a few good educated guesses out there. and a couple of quick tests.

Because I am lacking one tool doesn't mean I don't have every other tool to do the job. (I was a mechanic for a long time). I won't tell a person he can't replace a muffler because he doesn't possess an acetylene torch, Nor will I say he lacks the skill necessary. If I caved every time someone said to call a pro, I would have never learned to install water heaters, or fix plumbing/drywall or repair cars for that matter.

Thanks, crzzy1

Look between your legs. You are missing yet another tool.

Reply to
Jim Dandy

He's one of the bell-ringing engineers.

Reply to
Jim Dandy

bring your candy ass down to south Mississippi, and I will ring your bell. Now its time for you to go home, I hear your mama calling you from under the porch.

Reply to
Steve

haha... I kind of knew this would be the reply. Replacing several parts is still cheaper than calling a tech. $200 vs $700

I suspect that given the symptoms, there are a few good educated guesses out there. and a couple of quick tests.

Because I am lacking one tool doesn't mean I don't have every other tool to do the job. (I was a mechanic for a long time).

====================

Yet you don't have an amp meter???? Must have been a shade tree mechanic Eh?

Reply to
KJPRO

Warning - run-on one sentence answer. :-) Oh yeah all that liability, like I would jump through your monitor and sue you over the Internet because I risked a paltry $120 on a part instead of spending many times that on a pro that will make a guess (based on what he has in the trunk), and then when he's wrong I will have to wait for him to come back and pay him to take another guess. (Don't say it doesn't happen all the time). Not to diss the pros out there, there are a few amateurs that call themselves pros though.

Just like you called yourself a long time mechanic. Yet you don't own an amp meter??????

That's just to funny!

Reply to
KJPRO

Who says they paid the bill????????