Most HVAC units have a safety switch that does not allow the unit to
run if the access panels are open. Does not matter if the doors are
wide open or just ajar. I had that happen to me, so I took some duct
tape with me, pushed in the doors until a click was heard and the unit
started. Then I held the doors closed with several lengths of the
On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 21:53:10 -0500, "fuzzy57"
some mechanical thermostats have a separate off switch lever at bottom.
or pull off thermostat cover and look for insect problem.
if you have a simple 2-wire thermostat: disconnect thermostat's 2
wires and measure 24 volts ac on the wires. the thermostat connects the
2 wires when it calls for heat.
Is there a switch that is still set to AIR CONDITIONING? Be sure to
flip it to HEAT. You can always take the thermostat off the wall and
touch the two wires together. (no you wont get a shock from 24
volts). Of course if you have more than 2 wires (some do), I am not
sure what to say.
One other thing. Next to the furnace is likely a switch. Is it on?
Is the breaker on that feeds the furnace?
If you have never worked on OR understand how a gas furnance works,
call for service before you blow yourself up. It amy cost you a few
bucks, but the peace of mind knowing that it was fixed properly is
Well, I suppose if he/she blows up, then I guess they don't have to
worry about the heat. NO excuse.....You don't put yourself or others
in danger because you can't afford a service call. And if he/she
doesn't understand what they are doing then how would they know if the
service call is unnecessary?
Oh stop being a worrying nanny. There are things that can be done by any
homeowner before calling the service tech. Heating appliances have all
sorts of safety devices built in to them. Checking contacts, thermostats
and switches will not cause the main gas valve to open accidentally or to
blow up anything. Rather than stop others, educate yourself and put your
fears to rest.
Yes, you should listen to me. Have I ever screwed up something? Yes, of
course. But I've learned hot to fix many things a low or no cost and have
saved thousands of dollars over the years. Every project is a learning
experience. Any wiring I've done has been inspected and approved. Any
plumbing I've done has been inspected and approved.
There are many things I don't understand, but I take a little time, follow
the wires, follow the pipes, and find solutions to problems. I make a
pretty good living at finding solutions to problems. Perhaps you have a
life as a pencil pusher in an office and have no uderstanding of things
mechanical. That is OK, we all don't want to learn everything, but don't
admonish others that do want to learn.
After sitting for the summer, many a solenoid valve will stick. A tap of a
hammer can save a $150 service call. Thee is nothing unsafe about that.
Checking hte batteries of a thermostat is not unsafe. Checking the position
of switches is not unsafe. I did not recommend that pipes be opened up.
Educate yourself. You can save a lot of money.
I've built and fixed more things in a week then you'll see in a life
time......Sonny. I've watched many people play with gas only to screw
it up and cost themselves more money. Most of the time the money ends
up in my pocket. I agree that there are plenty of people out there
that can fix many things, but when it comes to something of this
nature, leave to the Pros......I'm sure some day I'll read about you!!!
On 22 Sep 2006 12:30:43 -0700, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
But you threatened Fuzzy with blowing up his house. Now you're just
talking about money. If Fuzzy does waste some money the first time,
that might be the prelude to saving money next time and ever after.
Anyhow, Fuzzy should know his skills, aptitude, and limitations, and
decide for himself. It's not like you think you are stopping others
from giving him leads to follow. He should know which ones he can do
and which he can't.
I was working on that AC last Sunday, and my friend started
complaining that before the furnace fan worked and now it didn't.
I may have touched the wrong two wires together and blown a fuse in
teh furnace. They cost a quarter and there was a spare taped inside
the furnace by the manufacturer.
Before we found the problem, I said, Don't worry, when it's fixed,
everything will work.
That's sort of obvious because otherwise it woudn't have been fixed.
But the upshot is that after another 15 minutes, I was 10 minutes away
from saying it was the contactor. I have a spare I stripped out of a
discarded compressor, and he'll be fixed in another 20 minutes.
I've never diagnosed this part before, and like you say, every project
is a learning experience.
I divide my amateur days from my skilled amateur days, not so much
because I make fewer mistakes, but because I always have a way to get
out of it now when I do make a mistake.
On 22 Sep 2006 10:34:59 -0700, email@example.com wrote:
Let me guess.....
The last time you tried to do a home repair, you tried to paint a
wall, spilled the paint on your couch and tv, and broke a window when
the defective ladder broke, you fell 3 feet, broke your spine and
spent the next 5 years in traction. Plus when the paint brush hit you
in the head you got a brain concussion. Now, you are in too much pain,
dont have a couch or a tv to watch, so all you can do is sit in front
of your computer posting scarey messages to people trying to do their
own repairs. I guess you never understood how a ladder or bucket of
paint works, so you should have left them alone.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.