whirlpool washer motor coupler

My Whirlpool washer (model LSR8233JQO) stopped spinning, but the motor still runs. I quickly determined it was the infamous broken coupler. However, I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the motor to gain access. Others on this forum have apparently removed the motor easily. Mine however, as best I can tell, is bolted to the gearbox FROM INSIDE the motor housing. I can see at least two, maybe three, large bolts that mount the motor to the gearbox - but the heads of these bolts are INSIDE the motor housing. I can barely see the bolt heads, and there's no way any standard tool (at least none that I have) is gonna fit in there to remove these bolts. These bolts thread into holes in the cast gearbox housing.

Any suggestions on how to get this motor out of there?

thanks in advance...

Reply to
dakota2112

Should be two thumb flip clamps holding the water pump to the motor. Flip those and then pull off the water pump. Then you should find four thumb flip clamps holding the motor to the transmission. Flip those and the motor should pull off the transmission. Off course, you have to also unplug the wiring harness from the motor. I've never heard of any bolts holding the motor on to the transmission.

Tom G

Reply to
Tom G

Yeah, I figured that out about 5 minutes after I posted my question. Always seems to work that way. For what it's worth, there is a plate inbetween the gearbox and motor - this plate has rubber dampers to isolate the motor from the rest of the assembly. As it turns out, the bolts I described are what fastens this plate to the gearbox. Thanks for the reply though!

Reply to
dakota2112