Fired a customer

Of course, there are some customers who are verbally abusive. Some who don't pay the bill. Some want the job super cheap (which ends up being unsafe). Who, here, has fired a customer?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have four or five of them no longer will get my service, One of them had pair of testicles to ask why!!!

Reply to
Grumpy

usually 3 or 4 a year. My customer base is still running 700 - 750 tho.

Reply to
Steve

I don't feel right unless I terminate 3 or 4 a year :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I'd like to been there, and heard your answer. Well, maybe I would....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I presume you're familiar with the bell curve. The bottom of the curve, on the awful side. You don't make much money, and endless hassle. Better off without them.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hasta la vista, baby!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I "fired" my hvac guy when he quoted me $1200 MORE for the same furnace install one year later using the excuse that PVC pipe has gone wayyyy up, lol...yeah right $1200 more for 30' of PVC pipe. Hmmmm, coincidently the fed government implemented $1000 grants during the same period.

I will "fire" the hvac guy I recommended to an elderly friend that told me he would give him the same 10 year warranty as he gave me (parts AND labour). Then, after he gets the job, I read in small letters on my friends invoice (labour only)

Reply to
Mat

On the other end of the spectrum, I've _been_ fired by a contractor.

My building has very stringent rules on vendor & tradesman certifications; and despite my best efforts, I couldn't get the contractor to prove he was licensed and that the people who would work on the job were certified.

Turned out to be the best thing he could have done for me, as neither was the case; he was just a hack.

A_C

Reply to
Agent_C

There have been a lot more companies "fired" by customers than the other way around. Residential techs know only one thing best, how to whine about their work or lack of it. If they wanted things to get better, they might go back to school and learn Commerical work. Remember though, no one is going to like $150/hr.

Reply to
lumbar

I prefer commercial work, it's a lot less hassle and the equipment is designed to be worked on. My forte is control systems, the more complicated it is, the more fun I have. It's especially fun when the HMFIC has no clue how anything works. 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Thats why GOD invented "flat rate" price books. Not a single price complaint, and no more "How much for labor??" since I went from T&M to flat rate. I *like* operating at better than a 20% NET margin.

FWIW, even the commercial guys trucks are parked.

Reply to
Steve

In my 23 years of having my own business, ive fired quite a few. In the beginning of my business, I put up with ALOT of garbage which i felt was a case of paying my dues in order to build my business. But once i got it built to where i made a very comfortable living, I took less and less from unreasonable/chronic complaining/highly demanding and unfair customers. I was giving customers just 15 minutes for them to show up for their appointment otherwise I was gone and to never come back . For the customers who kept messing me around on getting paid, I would often pull the disconnect switch on their a/c unit and/ or cut the control wire outside until I got paid. By the same token, if i made a mistake (like accidentally unplugging a basement sump pump) I would pay for any damage and send the homeowners to a fancy restaurant with a $60 gift certificate. That customer stayed with me until I closed down my business and retired. I had MANY good customers but I simply would not entertain certain kinds of consumers ... and im sure i surprised them as was an affront to their ego when i told them 'Im not for you...go find another Service Tech.' . Amen ?? It works both ways in the service business and the customer is NOT always right -- thats just a lame excuse of a mantra.

Reply to
ilbebauck

I have a magic trick, when I hear the magic words "I'm not paying for....", I disappear. I had a guy who owns a nightclub give me the runaround about paying the balance on a repair for a compressor replacement for a two door cooler. After a few months, I caught him and one of his minions at the back door one day and told him I was there to check the cooler. I pulled the front grill, popped the terminal cover off the compressor and broke the common pin off at the hermetic seal. I buttoned it back up and told the minion who was watching me that everything checked out. On the way out, I told the owner everything was fine. The asshole who had ignored me for all that time started calling every day for a while and leaving a message. The first message was "I got your money" the next string of messages was composed of various threats that made me laugh. I also went by the supplier, gave them the serial number of the compressor and explained that it was damaged due to customer abuse and they should not honor the warranty. Payback is hell.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I had one once new 'customer' ( via yellow pages ), small deli. Some Korean, barely spokey Enlgish Bad compressor to the cooler. I told her up front ' that will be $ 500 in advance ( now ), $ xxx ( whatever ), payable in cash on completion today because we don't know you'.

'OK, Joe, you fix chop-chop, heya ?'. Yes, I fix chop-chop, heya.

Got the new comp, put it in, evac & charge, came upstairs to get paid. 'Oh, I no have money right now, you come back week, two weeks !'. "Lady, I forgot my screwdriver downstairs, I'm going to go get it'.

Disconnected a couple of things, etc. This also killed the lights in the display box, so she knew it was off. Came back upstairs. 'What you do, Joe ? You fix chop chop, heya ? '

[ I push invoice in front of her, point to amount due $ 1,200 ] 'You paya chop chop, I fixa chop chop, heya ?'.

After 5 minutes of bullshit about not having the money, her husband is coming with the money tomorrow, etc, I started to walk out. She said 'OK, OK, I pay you', whipped open the cash drawer, and started counting out the Franklins.

She stopped half way through, gave me her best imitation of an engaging smile, and said 'OK, Joe ?' Uh uh. Counted out a couple more, 'OK, Joe ?' Uh uh.

Finally got it all and left.

.
Reply to
.p.jm.

I did the same thing on a Condensor Fan Motor in a small a/c that was (luckily) on the roof of a condo building with easy access from the top floor corridor . I figured it was STILL MINE since no money had been tendered . I no sooner got home and he phoned me. I told him what i had done and of course wished him a nice day. (VERY hot day out) .

Reply to
ilbebauck

Being a HAM radio operator and emergency responder, I have the sheriffs phone number on speed dial. The last time somebody tried to stiff me, I made a call and a deputy showed up to help the customer find his checkbook.

:-)

Reply to
Steve

I'm even worse, I have a first class commercial and I have repaired their radios. Good thing I'm not a terrorist with the crap I know. It's nice to know a few cops.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

About 50 miles from me is a pizza shop, with a walk in cooler that's leaking refrigerant. I went out the one time, and charge it back up. The condensing unit is in the cellar, down a tiny set of steps, and low ceiling. Real head banger. "my wife has the check book". A couple weeks later, it's again warmed up. So, I did some more beeping, and found a leaky braze at an elbow, on the evaporator. Rebraze that. And, they called back a couple months later, and I reminded them that they owed me for two trips out. I've also sent them to collections, with no results.

I like that about "I'm not paying for". I did hear that on another call, and got underpaid by quite a lot.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon