Best Rated threads in HVAC Discussionsshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Heat Pump noise and Neighbor
I am having some major problems with my heat pump. Long story short we had oil wanted gas, wasn't available on our side of the street, we had no heat due to broken oil furnace, the dealer told me...
11
11

Gas furnace flame wont stay on in the night/early morning (2023 Update)
had this issue for several years and several techs came out but no fixes. Most of time happens during the mid-night and early morning, and works properly in the daytime so the techs could not see any...
1
1

Tool for opening and closing a/c vents
The vents for our a/c are supposed to open and close by turning something t hat I will try to describe - it is a small knurled post with a slot at the top, although the slot is large compared to what...
6
6

high limit switch open
I have a concord furnace and I am getting the code that says "the high limit switch" is open. I have a new filter in. Does anyone know how to close it so the furnace Will not cut off? All help and...
6
6

Payne vs Carrier vs Bryant
We decided to throw in the towel and finally replace our ~25 year old Carrier furnace. We're not going to replace the AC unit. I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions on these bids ($ is for...
15
15

How does Low Voltage Compensation work?
Hi, I notice some consumer air-conditioners (generally above 8,000 BTU) have a feature called Low Voltage Compensation. My question is, how does this effectively work, and by what mechanism? I...
4
4

Bryant Blower Motor Loud Startup
Merry Christmas, Season's Greetings, Happy Holidays! Anyway, I have a Bryant condensing furnace Model 340MAV on which the blower motor makes a loud/brief hum/vibration noise on startup. Startup Cap...
56
56

Geothermal system and sinkholes
When I had my home built 8 years ago, I installed a geothermal heating/ cooling system. It is a vertical system with 3 wells although I am unsure which are supply and which are return wells. I have...
5
5

ignition transformer wiring
Which of these two statements are true- When wiring the secondary of a 15kv (.25A) transformer you should ground one side of the centre tapped transformer to earth if it is not used, as the ignition...
8
8

settings for Honeywell 8124 aquastat
I have a Honeywell 8124 aquastat with an oil fired Burnham boiler and Beckett burner all 6 years old. Live on Long Island, boiler used for heat and hot water (goes to a storage tank). I just happened...
14
14

Boiler Flange, Gasket or sealant?
I have an oil-fired boiler for heating my home. This one is welded steel. There is a large flange (about 9" in diameter & secured by 6 bolts) where the controls & immersion coil go into the water...
15
15

Brown liquid from flue pipe
I have a house with an asbestos flue. The water heater and gas furnace have regular sheet metal flue duct, then up in the ceiling the metal flue slips into this ceramic/asbestos flue - 6" diameter....
13
13

impact of having air return ducts disconnected
Hi, I live in a brand new home (1 year old). The house is 2 stories and approx 2100 sq ft and is serviced by a forced air furnace and central air conditioning system. Ove the course of the first year...
13
13

BV124 30-CPH16 X0673 Evaporator
What does anyone know about a BV124 30-CPH16 X0673 evaporator? Who makes it? I think it is a 30K unit, but that's all I know about it. Thanks
1
1

Evap Coils not all sweating
I have two central ac units for my house in central NJ. The downstairs unit as always worked fine, but not the upstairs unit which is approx a 100,000 btu unit. I decided to start looking in to it and...
30
30

Turned Central AC on with cover on compressor!! Help!
OOps! My Wife turned on the Central AC for the first time this season. Unfortunately, the winter cover was still on the outside compressor. When I noticed that the AC was on, (about 5 minutes or so),...
9
9

Advantage of Azeotropes?
I can figure out what azeotropic refrigerants are, but not why. What's the advantage? Or is is just a way to get the boiling point of non-CFCs to match the older CFC single-component refrigerants?...
5
5

Can't work on AC in the rain?!?!
I have 2 Trane units that are not working right. Called the local Trane high end dealer about a week ago and made an appointment. I work about an hour away from home so took the day off today to meet...
19
19

Trane Variable Speed Air Handler - setting fan speeds
I recently had a new Trane HVAC heat pump/air handler system installed for my home upstairs zone. The variable speed air handler model is 4TEE3F31A1000A. The wind rush noise coming thru the supply...
4
4

Carrier 48GP
I have a single package gas heating/electric cooling unit model 48gp-048115301 installed in 2000. In 2004, I had to have the draft blower assembly replaced due to it being rusted out. The heat...
10
10