How does Low Voltage Compensation work?

Hi,

I notice some consumer air-conditioners (generally above 8,000 BTU) have a feature called Low Voltage Compensation.

My question is, how does this effectively work, and by what mechanism?

I understand that any motor, and especially a compressor motor, has an LRA (locked rotor amperage) rating which is several times that of the FLA (full load amperage) rating, and that the LRA is one of the main reasons why it is recommended that a plug-in type of air conditioner be located on its own branch circuit.

Does the low voltage compensation scheme have the effect of reducing the LRA, so that one would be able to have another device (like a lamp or a television set) on the same branch circuit? If so, by how much does low voltage compensation reduce the LRA?

Thanks for your time in helping me understand this,

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Hi, My idea about this is power factor correction with a CV tranformer.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Thanks Tony.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Never hear of low voltage compensation!!!!!

Please explain CV tranformer what is it???

Grumpy

I can see any compressor running trough a Constant Voltage Trans. on top of that, it would may cost more the then AC itself Example 1200VA, (=10Amp@120VAC )and waits Apx.75-80# Some body giving some body A snow job? Low voltage Compensation bull shit!

Grumpy