Best Rated threads in HVAC Discussionsshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Goodman GMP075-3 Furnace - Quick Question
Goodman GMP075-3 Furnace.. LP .. What consumption rate should this thing have in terms of GPH or similar? What should the hot air output temp be? Thanks
8
8

Carrier 58 furnace pilot gas valve
Way back in 1999 someone called sonofdawra wrote a very helpful description of the lighting sequence of 58-type Carrier furnaces (see below). All this [see below] makes senso to me, but what I do not...

zoneline 3100 fan won't shut off??
my zoneline 3100 fan continues to run in the off position. I have changed the main board and main switch. I hear a relay "pick" as soon as the unit is plugged in. Currently I leave it on low heat and...
4
4

Carrier vs Comfortmaker
I've gotten 3 quotes for a new central 5 ton A/C unit here in central Flori da. My last Trane unit lasted 12 years, so I thought why not get another. But 2 companies said they would recommend a...
5
5

Clean oil residue from inside refrigerant hoses
My vacuum pump, (soon to be formal vacuum pump), abruptly shut off while I was pulling a strong vacuum. The vacuum it created self sucked some vacuum pump oil into the refrigerant hoses that were...
18
18

TRANE XL80, replace control board, or whole furnace?
I have a TRANE XL80 two stage upflow furnace that is eleven years old, with a programmable thermostat. The furnace quit working, I called a technician. He said the problem is the integrated two stage...
23
23

Vacuum Pump Oil - closest "tide me over" substitute
Let's assume you discover your pump is totally dry on a weekend job and your jug of vacuum pump oil is empty and Johnstone Supply is closed until Monday. Now let's also assume there's a NAPA auto...
18
18

Flakes of brown paper coming from vents...???
I keep a pretty close eye on our central HVAC unit (located up in the attic), and vacuum-clean the coils, check for leaks, etc. myself. The last year or so, however, especially if it's been off for a...
19
19

Can I use Oxy / Propane to Braze HVAC with copper-sil
hello I have a torch set and OXY but no acetlene I use propane for cutting with it but was nt sure about sheld gas when doing a line set okay any input would be good Thanks Patrick
4
4

Should my condensor fan run when heat is on?
Real basic question I think about HVAC. I replaced my thermostat on our HVAC system the other day and when i kicked on the heat, it turned on the fan that's in the condensor outside (that big thing I...
18
18

DIY Install of new oil burning furnace?
You thought wrong. Im a certified HVAC mechanic and owner of the company. Im not an engine mechanic. I let my Ford dealer take care of my company van repairs and my Honda dealer take care of my...
18
18

Getting the Cash: Understanding Cash-Out in Lieu of Repairs (2023 Update)
An ahs agent told me by phone that it is possible to get a cash payment in place of expensive repairs that may not last very long. How do I get the cash?
1
1

Sparks seen in Baseboard heater
I live in a Condo Apartment. It has quite old baseboard heater. It was quite loose and displaced from the wall so I was trying to tighten its screws and then found that it sparks when it moves. Its...
6
6

Wall & window temperature norms
Anyone know of a source of information on the expected indoor wall and/or window temperatures for a given outdoor temperature. For example, after dark [i.e. no sun on outdoor wall] with the Outdoor...
9
9

Heat pump aux heat does not come on
I have a Trane heat unit is about 13 years old, the outside unit is about 8 years old. I think it is a 3 ton unit. Original weathertron thermostat. During a recent cold snap (outside temp about 15),...
14
14

Removal of old whole house attic fan
I have acquired a 60 year old house which has a whole house attic fan which I want to remove. The house now has central heat and air conditioning. I have allergies to pollen, etc. The heat escapes...
6
6

Mini-split with auxiliary heat
I'm about halfway through an addition project on my house (new master bedroom) and extending the existing ductwork is just not a good option. I'm strongly leaning toward installing a mini-split system...
8
8

How to determine return air duct size for a 50,000 BTU Gas Furnace
Hi, Folks, I am trying to install the 50000 BTU Weather King gas furnace on my rear house. Before, there were only space heaters in that house, so I have to "design" the ductworks and install the...
14
14

Trane Heat Pump: Permanent 24v to Reversing Solenoid?
I have a Trane heat pump, installed when the house was built in 1995. I also have a nice gas furnace. I am currently using the furnace for heat and use the Heat Pump for A/C only. I'm concerned about...
31
31

Ceiling register with pull chain?
I have a forced air system. At night I would like to be able to stop or reduce the heat pouring in to certain rooms. Our current ceiling registers can only be dampened with a screwdriver (what a dumb...
24
24