An HMS Warranty story

Yep, they suck. My customer called about a month ago. They had moved to a newer home. The A/C wasnt cooling well and wanted to call me but the HMS company had their own hack to send out. I told my customer to call back and tell them they were using me. I would handle the billing/paperwork. I found a one year old Payne heat pump leaking right at the braze connection to the suction service valve. They did a wonderful job of frying both service valves. I fixed it and payment was received about a month later. My customer called again yesterday. Water on the floor and cooling but not well. Inside is a 13 yr old Trane TWE 3 ton air handler. The trap was clogged. I access the coil pan and see oil spray all over and a terribly rusted tube sheet on the coil. Sure enough it leaks. I check with RE Michel on a new coil. It has to be ordered in and the price is double of what any other coil costs me. I tell HMS warranty co my price to replace the coil. They dont like that. Its too high. They want to know my service charge. Then they want to know how much my recovery and evacuation fees are. I came up with a number. They tell me they dont cover those two fees and the homeowner will have to pay that portion along with the $100 deductible. They they ask me if I will install the coil if THEY can get it. I said I dont normally do that and I wlll have to get back with them. I call back later to tell them my decision and they have already started their own "research". I asked, "What does that mean?". They say they are researching what would be best for HMS and the customer (not me of course). Within 24 to 48 hrs they will let the customer know if they are going to allow the coil repair, a substitute hacked in coil or a new air handler. Meanwhile its was 101 degrees here yesterday. Thanks HMS. May your business burn to the ground. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Pretty much the same story here too. Probably the same everywhere. The home warranty companies usually install Payne here too. I knew they tried to stick the homeowner with recovery fees, but evacuation is a new one on me. Wonder how long it will be before they come up with equipment delivery fee, brazing fee, etc that is not covered. Trane is not alone in their ripoff pricing of a/h coils. Carrier is the same way. For about $50 more you can buy a whole a/h-- with a 5 yr warranty vs one yr on the coil. I could never figure out why a cased A coil costs half of what an a/h coil in a cardboard box costs, let alone the warranty. Then again, look at what they stick you for a condenser coil on resi sized units-- more than a whole condensing unit. Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

There is a reason why I don't deal with *any* home warranty companies...The home owner pays me PERIOD.

Whatever is worked out with the warranty company is between them and the home owner. I don't get involved.

I have not had the coil cost issues with the Rheem coils.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Home warranty's are a travisty for the Tradesman. They don't pay crap. I usually handle it the same way kpro does it. It's between the homeowner and the warranty company. I know what it takes to stay in business and keep my house running.

They [warranty companies] are users of the worst kind. The send in some know nothing hack to make an mess that later costs more to clean up. Then the hack ends up lieing to try to make a buck out of it.

Reply to
Zyp

Amen to that. Can I get a witness?!

Reply to
Superheat

I don't know where you're gathering the info... but yes, that's how I handle it. :-)

Reply to
<kjpro

I can fax it to ya. I asked and recieved the payment schedule from one Home Warranty Company, and man, believe me, they pay crapo!

Reply to
Zyp

I was talking about how you quoted Noon-Air&#39;s post and thought it was me. :-)

Reply to
<kjpro