Subject Author Posted Replies

Re: Summer Phlox
My guess would be the last - needs one year to establish - you'll probably have blossoms next year. They like a LOT of sun. You had a very cloudy June, I understand - so maybe they are not liking that...

Re: gazing balls
I couldn't tell any difference by price. My theory is the daytime high brings in moisture in the warm air that condenses on the inside wall during the overnight low temperature. The moisture seems to...
35
35

What to do with Nanking Cherries?
I have a lot of Nanking cherries. What can i make from them? I am interested in making pastries. Can I make pies out of them? Thank you
2
2

Re: Withering leaves of indoor plants
Too much water, not enough water, and/or the sun changed positions and they are starved for better light. I have all those plants and they go outside from may-november. (zone 7) That is when they do...

Grass from HELL
I've got some sort of broad leaf grass that has moved into my garden from God only knows where. Its bad enough that I have to live with my neighbors @#$&*&^&* Chinese Elms coming up everywhere, but...
8
8

Six-foot tall tomato plant ...
Is this a good thing, or a bad thing? We've never grown anything edible before beyond a few herbs, sticking solely to decorative plantings, but this year completely on a whim I picked up two tomato...
1
1

Please help with my Bing Cherry trees
I planted two Bing Cherry tress last fall and now they don't look very good... Curled leaves - some changing color to a reddish orange... overall just doesn't look well. We've had above average rain...

hyacinth bean
Would anyone have any of these seeds that they would like to share? Maybe at the end of the season? I had this vine last year, but unfortunately, I didn't plant it in time for me to be able to get...
1
1

Re: Blotches on sunflower leaves
There are seven kinds of fungal leaf spot disease common to sunflower and one bacterial and little treatment. Generally bacterial diseases stay between the veins and fungal ones cross them but once it...

Zucchini
My zucchini were growing great, then the stem ends started turning yellow, and look like they're rotting now. Is this some kind of blight? Should I get rid of the plant altogether?
1
1

BOOK on COMPOSTING - Recommendations ?
Hi fellow g'ers I am seeking recommendations for a good BOOK on COMPOSTING. I prefer something with a bit of depth... that I can grow with over the next couple of years of garden. Thanks.
4
4

Better tomatoes through pruning
I am new to this news group and I am hoping to get some pointers on the best methods of pruning tomatoes, or places I can look to find more information. I am in a northern climate with a short growing...
4
4

Re: Raised Garden Beds
Hello, 1. No preference to cedar over redwood, in my opinion. Use what you like. 2. Sealing is a good idea to prevent rot. 3. Don't use the gravel -- not necessary, since raising the bed in itself...
3
3

Re: do tomatoes use water overnight?
Generally they will use some water overnight, but not as much as during the day. If the soil is moist (under the surface) they should be fine. Normally you should not need to water every day. Their...
13
13

grow shelf or mini-greenhouse for growing orchids outside in Napa valley?
Does anyone have any suggestions for a mini-greenhouse or grow shelf? I'm looking for something with adjustable shelves, with a rack that allows maybe 4-5 ft. clearance for some really tall orchids....
5
5