Re: Raised Garden Beds

Hello,

  1. No preference to cedar over redwood, in my opinion. Use what you like.
  2. Sealing is a good idea to prevent rot.
  3. Don't use the gravel -- not necessary, since raising the bed in itself provides the required drainage.

HTH,

-- pelirojaroja

----------------------------------------------- "There is a garden in every childhood, an enchanted place where colors are brighter, the air softer, and the morning more fragrant than ever again."

-- Elizabeth Lawrence

Hi, hope someone can help. I am going to make some raised garden beds. > I did a search on this group and did not get any hits. I have three > questions I hope someone can help me with. First, is there any reason > to prefer cedar over redwood? I notice that most commercial wooden > raised beds are cedar. Second, is it necessary or helpful to seal the > wood somehow, particularly the ends? Third, is it necessary or helpful > to lay down a few inches of gravel on the bottom for drainage? Some > things I have read say yes, but others seem to say you should not so > that plants with deep roots can get down to the native soil if they need > to. Thanks in advance for your advice! Sanford. >
Reply to
pelirojaroja

Sanford Levy

Cedar vs. Redwood -- Longevity and cost. In the big scheme of things it likely will not matter.

Sealing the wood/ends -- Helps ease rot a bit, but many beds do not bother. I'd shy away from any chemicals though -- who wants that in any garden?

Gravel -- Nah, don't bother. It's not necessary.

James

Reply to
JNJ

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo