Six-foot tall tomato plant ...

Is this a good thing, or a bad thing?

We've never grown anything edible before beyond a few herbs, sticking solely to decorative plantings, but this year completely on a whim I picked up two tomato plants at the garden center.

Beyond watering them, the only thing we did to it was pinch off the first batch of flowers that showed up, because my wife recalled reading somewhere that you should do that.

Now, both plants are nearly 6 feet tall, with stems the diameter of my thumb or larger, and both are starting to produce tomatoes.

Other tomato plants that I can see in the neighborhood are nowhere near so robust; should we have done something to the plant to slow its growth, or should we be happy with the results so far?

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Other tomato plants you see around the neighborhood may be shorter because they are a determinate type or a "patio" tomato, whereas your plants may be indeterminate and are a rapidly growing vining type.

BT

Reply to
BT