Tomato Sauce Recipe?

Can anyone share a good recipe for making tomato sauce from plum tomatoes?

Thanks,

Tim S.New Jersey 6b

Reply to
Tim

Hmmm, recipe? I just put the ripe (not over-ripe!), washed tomatoes, quartered for smaller and more pieces for larger, in a pan with herbs and simmer for 3-5 hours then run it through a food mill until nothing more will pass through and only tomato skins are left (barely!). Never thought about a recipe. I try to have half "meaty" tomatoes (like Roma) if I want sauce and reduce it more. If soup or juice is my goal, I just put what is ripe that day in the pan with no concern about enough "meaty" tomatoes. If you want plain tomato sauce to use in recipes later, just use the tomatoes and season with herbs later?

Herbs include, but not limited to, rosemary, sage, basil, parsley, oregano, etc. (whatever is in the line of sight when my basket is in hand).

Not scientific, but delicious. Note, however, that a variety of heirlooms abound in my garden with all their extra flavor.

Nice thing about good tomatoes - it's difficult to go wrong regardless of what we do.

Another nice thing about good tomatoes, if you are making sauce/soup/juice, you can have a lidded container in the freezer and drop them in and cook when you have enough to make a large batch. I do that all the time when I have ripe tomatoes and don't have something specific that day. It also works well for those that might have a blemish (cut off before putting it the container to freeze).

Glenna

(Love it when the tomatoes are ripe! I planted a second batch of broccoli so now, for the first time, I have broccoli and tomatoes at the same time

- yum! Lettuce finally bolted but still some good leaves left, had my first BLT last week, added basil and parsley to it, soooo good. A fine taste of heaven on this ol' earth.)

Reply to
Glenna Rose

Just catching up......drowning in FSA paperwork today.

Ok, like Glenna, I don't use any certain recipe anymore, just experiment with it. Making tomato sauces can be quite fun actually.

I usually peel the tomatoes, remove the seeds, and strain the juice into a bowl. Chop some garlic (1 or 2 cloves depending on how much sauce I'm making), and place garlic, tomatoes & tomato juice in food processor or blender. Add a splash of olive oil before starting the blender up. If I have plenty of time, I will put the sauce in the crock-pot to simmer, otherwise a coated skillet or saucepan will do. Add basil, parsley, oregano, or other seasonings to taste. Seasonings don't have to be fresh necessarily, they can be straight out of the bottle in the cabinet! Can also add garden veggies, ie, carrots, zukes, squash, bell pepper, and onions for a chunkier sauce for spagetti. Simmer. Will make the house smell delicious and the people hungry. The longer it has to simmer the better it will be.

If I only want a paste for tomato pastry, then I only add some parsley & basil, no garlic, etc. The same if I want it for veggie soup.

If there is extra, place into a freezer bag or plastic container when cooled, and freeze for up to 4 months. Well, it might last longer than 4 months in the freezer, but here our's doesn't make it that long....usually 2 months tops before it gets used!

When I can tomatoes, I only peel & chop the tomatoes, and put them straight into the pot to stew down.

Hope that gives you some ideas......

Rae

Reply to
rachael simpson

The Lycopene thing is why I recently stocked up on Tomato paste. Gives me an excuse to use it. ;-)

I'm googling for home made low carb Catsup recipes.

Reply to
Omelet

don't know that you would consider this low carb...but I'm thinking about trying it:

Blender Ketchup

24 pounds ripe tomatoes 2 pounds onions 1 pounds sweet red peppers 1 pounds sweet green peppers 9 cup vinegar, 5% acidity 9 cup sugar 1/4 cup canning or pickling salt 3 tablespoons dry mustard 1 1/2 tablespoons ground red pepper 1 1/2 teaspoons whole allspice 1 1/2 tablespoons whole cloves 3 cinnamon sticks

Use an electric blender and eliminate need for pressing or sieving. Wash tomatoes and dip in boiling water for 30 to 60 seconds or until skins split. Then dip in cold water, slip off skins, core, and quarter. Remove seeds from peppers and slice into strips. Peel and quarter onions. Blend tomatoes, peppers, and onions at high speed for 5 seconds in electric blender. Pour into a 3- to 4-gallon stock pot or large kettle and heat. Boil gently 60 minutes, stirring frequently. Add vinegar, sugar, salt, and a spice bag containing dry mustard, red pepper, and other the spices. Continue boiling and stirring until volume is reduced one-half and ketchup rounds up on a spoon with no separation of liquid and solids. Remove spice bag and fill jars, leaving 1/8-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in a boiling- water canner for 15 minutes. This recipe yields about 9 pints. Yield:"9 pints"

NOTES : Recipe originally from Michigan State University Extension

courtesy of r.f.recipes

Reply to
rachael simpson

Reply to
doofy

Not with that sugar addition... but thanks. ;-)

Reply to
Omelet

Billy Rose expounded:

As I said in another post, it's available here as a health supplement in all of the health food stores, including Whole Wallet.

Reply to
Ann

Aaaah, Charlie. They wouldn't do that. They truly care about the general populace which is why they invest so much money into research so close to basic health needs. They, and their cohorts, so want to help us stay healthy. They tell us so with their commercials; if it's in print or on television, it must be true.

Reply to
Glenna Rose

snipped-for-privacy@pmug.org (Glenna Rose) expounded:

Yes, mam, and could I interest you in a bridge? ;->

Reply to
Ann

Or maybe ocean front property in Arizona........

Reply to
rachael simpson

Likely them along with the drug companies.

I drink a supplement that has been on the market less than five years and has been so successful it now has multiple imitators. The FDA has been watching them very closely the last few months after sales reached a certain point. Also after two drug companies hired the world's two top researchers of the fruit. (Research was been done by colleges, universities, etc., prior to the company starting, none by the company.). It would be foolish to think it was anything but the drug companies behind the sudden "close eye" watching. After all, they will put the active components in a pill to sell for big bucks to people who wouldn't need it if they were using effective supplements to start with.

Not only will I continuing drinking my supplement, but I will continue eating my healthy home-grown food! Stevia rocks! (As do many other things we are all growing.)

Geez, are they going to eventually tell us we cannot grow tomatoes? Or lettuce? Or carrots?

Glenna

Reply to
Glenna Rose

snipped-for-privacy@pmug.org (Glenna Rose) expounded:

Only their patented, heavily controlled and high-priced seeds will be allowed. It's coming.....if we let it.

Reply to
Ann