Seed Catalogs - Spring is coming!

Ann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

it's 0 now. i don't want to figure out the windchill. i'm going to reroof in the next year or two & it's going to be a metal roof. a hipped roof Federal doesn't have much pitch. lee

Reply to
enigma

Sounds about right. It a typical "can't get therah from herah" situation.

I drove - had to go to the rink and a different rink and the pair of had to do this NOW errands.

And today there is - drive son to school in the dark and get skates sharpened. Thank heavens for down.

Cheryl Isaak

Didn't get to 15 yesterday....

Want some snow - I'll deliver. The bed is full...

Cheryl Isaak

Cheryl Isaak wrote in news:C3A37E55.872EA% snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net:

i had to explain to my brother in Amherst that it really does take an hour to get there from here. it doesn't *look* that far on a map, but the cowpaths for highways wander in big loops....

i have insulated overalls & a blanket lined barn coat. oddly enough, even when it's below freezing, i end up at least unbuttoning the coat, or taking it off when i'm working with Perl or in the chicken barn. and i'm usually one of those people who is cold all the time. lee

Reply to
enigma

enigma expounded:

Yea, our's is a fairly shallow one-pitch shed. They covered it with bitrathane (sp?) before putting on the final shingles. He wanted to use metal, but they told him the pitch was way too shallow.

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

Bring it down!

Actually it's supposed to moderate today, up to the 30's. But it was colder last night, 3.9°. BRRRR.

Reply to
Ann

morning ya'll. this cold front extended its dip on down into NC and this morning it was 17F. yesterday did not get up above freezing. today is forecast to reach 45F. for this location 17F is grounds for using the word cold as an adjective.

ya'll have a nice day.

Reply to
Jim

Not sure about here!

Got the nasty gram that I need to shovel out the mail box better. It was, but the town plowed it in again... Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Cheryl Isaak wrote in news:C3A3A269.8730C% snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net:

-7.6F, not counting windchill (i don't seem to have a memory function under windchill). but you probably really didn't want to know that ;)

ours is being held up by the snowbank. Tom pushed the snow a bit too hard with the tractor. we were trying to get the big banks at the end of the drive a bit lower... at least enough to see a Mini Cooper ;) seriously, people, including the Nottingham school bus driver, drive like idiots (45-50 in a 25 zone. narrow, twisty & hilly) on our road & it's nice to see what's going too fast down the road before it hits you... lee

Reply to
enigma

You going to put better than R50 up there too? That was a big deciding factor when we looked at roofing - metal is wonderful, but can be a heat suck. C

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Hey - we have people that come screaming down the hill and blow right through their stop sign (those of us going straight have right of way). And I can't see them (shrubbery blocking, snow mounds blocking).

Cheryl Isaak

And you can use 101 for part of it!

If I'm doing something, I'm generally OK with a couple of layers. Standing still waiting for the bus - long johns and extra layers.

Cheryl Isaak

Varities you don't find in most of the catalogs. Bush beans, Pole beans, radishes, tomatoes and etc. Everything I have got from them was exactly what they said it would be.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Mel M Kelly

Cheryl Isaak wrote in news:C3A3E824.87322% snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net:

the metal roof will be insulated & it'll be built with an air space between it & the existing roof to create a bit more pitch and allow for vents & soffits, which we don't currently have. the sum total insulation in this house is about 8" of vermiculite in the attic crawl. heat suck is nothing new. lee

Reply to
enigma

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

I actually have an extra mailbox mounted on a sawhorse I keep out behind the garage for just those circumstances ;->

Reply to
Ann

My Dad has a sliding mail box that can be extended next to the primary.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Sounds good. I'm still happy we opted for the R50 roof. We wanted more, but the building inspector was unused to super insulated houses and other such energy saving things (no solatubes like I wanted, no berm, no heat pump... IDIOT).

The only thing I'd change is to replace the shingles with slate or metal tiles (look like traditional roofing) and I want to add a heater to the back of the house on the roof to melt snow and prevent ice dams. But so many trees went down in back (into the woods) that there is more sun there....

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

That's a thought

This year, I'd stick one a pointy post and keep it handy

Cheryl Isaak

Pictures?

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak