Seed Catalogs - Spring is coming!

Sitting here on this cold Ohio Valley day (10 degrees, 3 inches of new snow) I am enjoying the new seed and plant catalogs that are arriving in the mail daily. Since Christmas I have got about half a dozen and I'm sure that there are more to come.

Which catalogs do you like the most and who is you favorite seed or plant vendor?

Reply to
Bill R

Duh. Victoria's Secret, obviously.

Burpee for almost all my seeds, because in 35 years of gardening, their seeds have always exceeded the claimed parameters, and my expectations. Cooks Garden for the more obscure greens that Burpee doesn't carry or doesn't label clearly.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

reasonable organic

pricey good stock

pricey great varieties

Bill Wagner who is looking for snow and just put out some suet.

Reply to
Bill

I like Vermont Bean Co. They have outstanding varities you don't find everywhere like their Fortex pole bean. The best I have ever tried.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Mel M Kelly

Best in what way?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Haven't seen any yet, but I have gotten a few daylily catalogs C

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Bill,

How much snow do you want? I have plenty.

Cheryl Isaak

And I'll send you some cold weather. Right now is is 12 degrees!

Reply to
Bill R

You folks just have to coordinate right now it is 18 F with 29 F the high for today. It is dry but warmer is coming and I'd guess some rain then. I know why too. It is my fault I bought an electric snow shovel two winters ago. Have yet to use it . Heart problems sort of made that smart but I was not aware of the snow Jinx it would cause.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I'm colder - 1F this AM at sunrise and now a toasty 9

Cheryl Isaak

How the heck does an electric shovel work?

I have the plow guy - an absolute necessity this year! I do the walk to the front door C

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

have a portable GFI too in pristine condition. ( never used) I'm not selling as soon as I do it will snow ;))

Bill Thinking about what to plant that we never did before.

Reply to
Bill

A mini snow blower! totally useless here.

Cheryl Isaak

Bill R wrote in news:477cf4f1$0$30762$ snipped-for-privacy@news.iglou.com:

no no NO! we already have the cold. right now it's 7F with a windchill of -15F. you can keep your cold weather... oh, wait. your cold is warmer than my cold. ok, send it over! Cheryl, how much snow did you get New Years Day? we got another foot. i tried walking through the veggie garden yesterday. the snow is up to my thigh! someone parked a Mini Cooper in my driveway & you couldn't see it over the snowbank. that was funny. lee

Reply to
enigma

I figure we got another 6+ inches. Hard to tell with the wind blowing so! Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Top 3 (in no particular order):

Territorial:

Excellent service. Catalog is also good reference material. Never a problem with germination. Prices are a bit higher than some (but not as high as Burpee), but found to be worth it.

Nichols:

Good prices. A bit more limited selection, but offers other items as well. One of the best garlic suppliers I know of.

Fedco:

Coop. Good selection and several varieties not found anywhere else. Prices are also very good.

Other I've tried:

Used to order a fair bit from Pinetree.. Good prices, good service, but their germination didn't seem to be as good others. I'll still use them for bulbs and tubers. Best seed potato prices I know of.

I've also ordered from Vermont Bean, Totally Tomatoes, Seymour's Selected Seeds, Jung's... Which I now realize are all affiliated

Products/service was fair, not up to par with what I'm used to.

I've also ordered from Burpee and some of the other "glossy" catalog providers. Good product, just too expensive when compared to others.

Cheers! Snotbottom

Reply to
snotbottom

Where do you live Cheryl ?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Southern NH - only 10-15 miles SW from Lee as the crow flies. Not that the crows are flying today. C

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Cheryl Isaak wrote in news:C3A2B68D.872A9% snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net:

oh, yeah. wind. coming flat off the pasture into poor Perl's crappy little makeshift shed... i put up a piece of playwood & yet another tarp to try to reduce the wind driven snow. hard to keep her dry that way. i was so happy her llama coat came yesterday afternoon. i put it on her *over* the blanket. with the wind blocked the shed warmed up to a bit over ambient outside temps & the sun was shining in the unblocked side this morning.

what is it, more like 25-30 miles if you drive? i wasn't doing much of that today either. lee

Reply to
enigma

enigma expounded:

It was a balmy six degrees F this morning. 15.4 was our high. Hubby is on his way up to the Maine house to shovel off the roof, I guess we've got two feet sitting on it, which means the snow out back would be past my thigh! I do wish we'd kept our snowcover down here, unfortunately it melted before this cold snap.

Reply to
Ann