garden hand tools

My daughter just received a set of gardening hand tools for xmas, and I'm not sure of the uses of each of them (there are 5 different types). I've always just stuck with a couple of favourites I prefer to use. But I thought it would be useful to know about their specific uses. I've tried googling, but nothing has really given me any clear ideas.

Jen

Reply to
Jen

I think you will know what to do with them instinctivly. You can always browse a catalog like Lee Valley Tools if you want to know what they are called or what category they are in.

Vox Humana

site will describe most of what she got, plus there may be one that is almost straight out from the handle with a flat blade with a V at the end for cutting dandelion roots and popping them out of the ground.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

.....and you have not been clear at all either.

Reply to
Travis M.

Not knowing what you got, they could perhaps be: Trowel - Slices through soil to dig holes for planting. (shovel)

Cultivator - Easily aerates soil around plants. Thins seedlings and uproots weeds. (claw)

Planter - Neatly sized trowel for planting delicate seedlings and rows of small flowers. (narrow shovel)

Fork - Perfect for simple edging and loosening soil around plants. (fork)

Narrow Weeder - Sized for tending window boxes and plants with thin, delicate stems. (very narrow with V-shaped end for cutting roots)

Dibble - Forms perfect holes for planting bulbs and small plants. (conical)

Stephen Henning

They're the ones. Thanks

Reply to
Jen