Keep Several Hand Drills on Hand

I have a house and several buildings with one formal "shop" in one bldg. But I keep sets of tools in all buildings and house. I also have a vise in each bldg and I keep 2 or 3 drills at each location. I buy them at sales for a buck or two, then I chuck up the drill bit size that I most often use, and screw-driver bit in one [of the old drills] and a large bit in another of them.

This, having 2 or 3 drills at site, with different bits in them and a screwdriver bit, keeps me from usually having to swap bits. And, just having them ready at hand gets me in motion --off my lard ass-- and actually tackling jobs that I was trying to dodge in the first place.

Reply to
MilkyWhy

In a way - I'm sort of like that with female neighbors, keep one here and one there so there's always one or two at ready . When they need something done - There I am. Always keep couple or more nearby this way and that, you'll never waist time being lazy.

Reply to
bumtracks

Heh, heh. I'm way passed having that energy level --emotional, sexual, and to listen to them. I'll stick with power tools.

Reply to
MilkyWhy

Ready at hand. Music to my ears.

Partly due to a snafu, I now have 2 cordless drills. To be brief, my 6 year old 12 Volt drill's batteries died. I couldn't find the batteries for a decent price, so I bought an 18V drill whose batteries would also be useful as spares for a couple of other tools. Shortly thereafter (natch) I stumbled across a good deal on the 12V batteries.

But even though it was unplanned, I could swear I heard angels singing softly the other day when I was using one for drilling and the other for driving screws.

I've got a couple of older drills that I don't like so much. I use one for ugly chores, like removing paint from my garage door. The other lives in my electrical tool box. The proper-size masonry bit for attaching conduit to my walls is more or less permanently attached. (I lost the chuck key).

I've also got a Makita 1/2" hammer drill, which despite it's modest size, is likely to injure my wrist someday. I could be smart and attach the second grip, but I'm likely to be wrapped in an Ace bandage while I'm doing it.

I agree with the original poster. Tools are frequently advertised as having a host of different uses. That's great when you need portability, or don't repeat a certain task too often. But nothing beats having separate tools for each task when you're doing a longer job.

Greg Guarino

Reply to
Greg G

The right tool for the right "job"?