How to keep rust off hand planes?

Hi guys & gals,

I bought my first hand planes a few months ago. I used them a little when I first got them and then put them away. I just pulled one out yesterday and I noticed surface rust showing up on one of them already. Is it normal to have rust show up so quickly? How do I keep this from happening and what do I do after it does? Regards. -Guy

Reply to
Guy LaRochelle

If it is bare metal, it will rust. Use Top Cote or Boeshield, same as you would for your tablesaw top. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:1JyKc.2423$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr32.news.prodigy.com:

I like to use a paste wax both on the sole and sides..and try not to sweat on them while using...DAMHIKT

DCH

Reply to
DCH

The best thing to use is Camellia Oil. Lie-Nielsen has it. Go here

Mike

Move to Denver?

Reply to
patrick conroy

ROFL!

I use Minwax paste wax (in the summer, in the winter, we're as dry here as Denver).

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Store in a fairly tightly sealed box/container with some of the vapor phase rust inbititors in there and a desicant to keep it dry would do the job

Check out the rust preventor wrapping paper as well.

All of the above can be found for sale at Brownell's

as well as other websites out there

John

Reply to
John

[snip for brevity (if brevity is the soul of wit, what if someone is half-brief?)...]

Best answer! However, there is a dearth of jobs there. Here in the DFW area, I keep a 5 gal bucket with pure mineral spirits in the shop. I dumped canning paraffin in, to dissolve. I just dunk in a plane, or chisel, or whatever, and it comes out coated with very thin paraffin. Capillary action gets it in the smallest nooks and crannies.

Much cheaper than boeshield, et al, and works just as well for me.

Did I mention I'm frugal, er, cheeeep?

John Pierce Maker of Fine wood Chips and Shavings

Reply to
John Pierce

Man o' man - you've got that right. For us nerds, Denver is still lagging.

My ol' stompin' ground. 13 years there. Can't say I miss the heat. Can say I miss the folks driving 135 on 635 or 187. Can't say I miss the churning green skies that drive you into the tub with a mattress on top. Can say I miss a good downpour.

Reply to
patrick conroy