Outdoor rail lighting

My husband and I built a new deck with railing with lights. We had it installed by an electrician. yesterday we found one section of the lighting not working. Call the electrician over I went under the deck with him and found that he used house hold extension cords and no water proof cover with a household outlets . With No GFI which the outlets were all burned up . What happened ?

Reply to
diane