two articles

Beneficial insect, or pest, Sevin kills them ALL.

Reply to
Billy

Years ago about 30 the dreaded gypsy moth appears and folks started to get Sevin delivered by air plane. I did not sign up and I placed back plastic trash bags on my property line. I'm a real bastard according to many folks and my brother in law was one who thought so. A few year goes by and then it is bacteria thuraginis (SP) as the weapon of choice. Meanwhile our oaks just went on and with no spraying endured the onslaught I even read that the oaks did change the taste of their leaves. Nature what will discover next ? A happy ending sorry no. Now there is a blight called Oak Scorch that is sweeping through and the bottom line is once noticed too late and no cure. I'd guess 40 % of my forest is dead now and next year who knows.

Reply to
Bill who putters

Billy wrote: ...

ribbeted for someone's garden pleasure...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Exactly so. The Greeks considered intelligence obscure, and there was nothing more obscure than the croaking of frogs. To make it clearer, I'd suggest the movie "Munich", directed by David Spielberg.

Reply to
Billy

as always Phobe, you intrigue. No one is "demanding" just tired of the bullying that you deep eco folks condone.

An Instructor once told me "everyone says everything for a reason" find the reason!

so what is the reason you have you "watched me over time" ? Because I expose little billy's BS he throws out. It cannot be lecturing me on civility when you neglect to do for from little billy, No that would be hypocritical and you are not that, are you? It cannot be to correct his many mistakes in his zeal can it, you never discuss those either do you? so again Phobe what is your reason?

Regardless I have been killfiled, yet I have always been amazed at the pretentiousness of those that tell others they will killfile them. Perhaps some secret intellectual ritual they alone possess when the simple process of not reading it would suffice, but there are always those weak individuals that just talk a good game.

walk your talk! Phobe

Reply to
Gunner

Let me back up a pace. BS comes in a few flavours.

There's the kind of BS that's bad information. There's the kind of BS that's just static. There's the kind of BS that creates static.

I'm tired of the final category.

Stay intrigued.

You came across as demanding. It's a question of tone, context and continuity.

You are quite correct though. I am unabashed, unapologetic straight arrow permaculture eco-warrior change the politics of the world, stomp Monsanto et al into nothingness, permanent green.

...and I'd say that I'm not into being bullied by anyone.

Billy took a few runs at me awhile back and still does every once in awhile but I don't take it seriously. I'm still kicking around. If he'd kept at it and I found it too annoying I'd have blackholed his posts, all posts responding to him and any post that identified him by name in it.

This is USENET. ...and I think your instructor's suggestion doesn't always track.

Your latter question is the trenchant one. The preamble should have been left out.

I'll respond anyway.

In my earlier post I said I think you've found a perfect mirror in Billy. The corollary to that is that what you dislike in Billy is what is unlikable in yourself. Pop psych 101, I know, but there is some truth to it.

What you perceive as a stand against bullying, amounts to an endless fog of static and disruption that is in itself a kind of bullying of the newsgroup. I've been around on USENET since 1985ish under one alias or another and I've seen champions(metaphorically) come and go many times.

For the past while I've been pressing, off and on, for the disciplined use of protocols and this thread with your advent into it is the perfect opportunity to press that button again. There's more than one person reading this so I figure the thought should be making the rounds.

The subject line for this discussion should have begun with OT:

Yeah. I killfile you often enough. I put a limit of a week on the bozo bin and my ignore subject filter. You'd been away awhile so the killfile timed out. If I killfile you now, we wouldn't be able to continue this exchange.

The only permanent limits I put on this newsgroup are crossposting and profanity in the subject header.

Killfiles take the speed of reading out of the equation.

That is, I can take in too much of a post too quickly to use your suggestion to skip over it.

Reply to
phorbin

bugger... clicked on send instead of save as draft.

Reply to
phorbin

Thats OK, we all slow down in old age ( still got your 1985ish beat) . In the mean time let me add that I believe we all like to pretend our actions are dictated by intelligent thought but in reality we just filter fact to fit our beliefs. All about justify our actions isn't it.

Personally, I find it very difficult to buy in to this pretentiously noble cover for action of yours because if it were true you would have stood up and said as much to little billyboy as you do to me here. You know the equality and truth thingie academia pretend they believe in,.... confronting misinformation and bullying beleifs, those noble little principles & ethics portended to be of such importance here. No, this sadly is nothing more noble than false rhetoric. Every time I have stood up to little billy's BS it has been when he attacks another, I do so as viciously and in the same vain as he does, then fight the pretentious dogpile BS like this one is. So from where I sit, you get off on lecturing me but you can't come to do so for little billybadboy, is that about the gest of it? Truely ya that scared?

Keep painting it anyway you want, the picture is still the same. You don't walk your talk which I find rare for a Cunuck.

But if you don't like it, seriously, don't read it or pretend you will KF me. Above all don't pretend you read too fast when it takes a real concious movement to click on in the first place. You don't read that fast Phob . Again you wrestle the pig your gonna get dirty so don't think you can come in wearing a Panama suit w/ your British sense of stiff upper lip and stay clean lecturing me. You seem to have picked your side, you just didn't have all the logic nailed down as well as you should have before you stepped into it.

So eco warrior, eco nazi, eco communist, however you want to define yourself. Its stand up or shut up! Can't have it both ways. Next time I see little billy boyo dressing someone down, I expect you to be in there if your truly the noble man you claim there old timer. But you can tell me know you just talk trash to the garden newbies until we pray at the Alter of the Organic Pure? Would that be true? we can wait and see, I'm sure it will not be too long before he pops off on someone again. What is his record, 2 days?

But as far as being "behind the curve" in your neck of the woods, as you say? I have found when you are so far curved to the left or right , you can't be too much of a straight thinker,now can you?

I'll leave you with this excerpt from the same Mag that started this thread:

We Only Trust Experts If They Agree with Us: Scientific American Podcast

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

10:43 AM

We think we trust experts. But a new study finds that what really influences our opinions, more than listening to any expert, is our own beliefs.

Researchers told study subjects about a scientific expert who accepted climate change as real. Subjects who thought that commerce can be environmentally damaging were ready to accept the scientist as an expert. But those who came into the study believing that economic activity could not hurt the environment were 70 percent less likely to accept that the scientist really was an expert.

Then the researchers flipped the situation. They told different subjects that the same hypothetical scientist, with the same accreditation, was skeptical of climate change. Now those who thought that economic activity cannot harm the environment accepted the expert, and the other group was 50 percent less likely to believe in his expertise. The study was published in the Journal of Risk Research.

The investigators found similar results for various other issues, from nuclear waste disposal to gun control. Said one of the authors, =93People tend to keep a biased score of what experts believe, counting a scientist as an 'expert' only when that scientist agrees with the position they find culturally congenial."

Reply to
Gunner

Give it a rest please. You've all now had your say to each other about how appalling the other person is and it's beginning to get tedious.

Reply to
FarmI