two articles

It wasn't meant as an insult. I thought you were trying to be funny.

To stay way form "Trojan Horses", no matter how good the road apples are.

Reply to
Billy

So, your surprise is your defense? If a person wants a good looking garden, they should use chemicals? What are the benefits of an "organic garden"? What are the detriments to a chemical garden?

Reply to
Billy

Faith in this case is just a fig leaf to theft. The decision to chase away the Palestinians was made when they realized that they could. Prior to that, all possibilities were in play.

I'm afraid my sanity has never been a captive of reason, and I do enjoy life, celebrate life, and wish life to others.

Reply to
Billy

Thank you for those kind words, Bill.

Reply to
Billy

What, you want me to post examples of her excesses? I think not. This newsgroup shouldn't be used to denigrate people of color, to belittle one faiths service to our country, or a bully-pulpit to imply that she is more pious than Richard Goldstone .

Reply to
Billy

Since you seem to be oblivious to her, I have to wonder why. You haven't noticed when she spits poison, but rush to chasten my 5 little words.

Reply to
Billy

Enough bull pucky for a hundred acres. We are all beginners here. Let's see a show of hands. Who is the guru here? If I were choosing, I'd pick Cheryl Isaak, or Emilie, or FarmI, or Kate, or Kay Lancaster, or Pat in Plymouth, or The Cook, but I'm sure if you asked them, they would tell you that they are just beginners. This isn't a race. There are questions we want to ask, and there are answers that we know, and we participate. We participate. That is the alpha and omega of it all.

Reply to
Billy

And you aren't kidding? Have you lost your mind? Can two different equations describe the same event? Is one a lie?

Look for "The Day the Universe Changed" by James Burk. It's a video.

It all lies in the premise. Once that is agreed upon, everything else is article of faith, or hypocrisy.

For example: all people are created equal.

Reply to
Billy

Well you need to start looking surprised. Highgrove is certainly a 5 star garden and it (and Prince Charles) are well known for organics.

me a lawn that has no dandelions in the spring and I

2 things come to mind. 1) Perhaps you just need to look for the weeding fork. I have a very large lawn (we call it the cricket pitch so if you're a USian, think Baseball field) and we got an infestation of Capeweed right through the lawn (it's a flat weed and far worse than dandelion because it flowers on plants even as small as a quarter of an inch and once it flowers, the seeds spread). We hand weeded it. It took us 3 years but now there are no cape weeds. We each had a weeding fork and we'd take the transistor out and sit with our backs to the sun and go for it. It was really a rather pleasant activity. We only did this because we didn't want it getting into our pastures and destroying them. We had nor specific idealogical objection to having 'weeds' in our lawn 2) why should a lawn just be boring old grass? I prefer a lawn with livingstone daisys in it to a pure green swath of fine grass. The former I find appealing and the latter sterile and anal.

The word "organic" also has

What is 'seven'?

Well if by 5 star, you mean manicured and faffed to the degree that the dew is blow dried off the plants each morning then it probably does. If by 5 star you mean well designed, attractive, healthy, no infestions of pests that can't be dealth with by the wildlife, then I wouldn't agree with you. I have a friend who is as poor as a church mouse but she and her husband have one of the most glorious gardens I've ever spent time in. They have what I call 'the eye'. They could design a pigeon house and a 20 sq ft area around it and have it looking like it should be in a lifestyle mag. They have no help in the garden, never have had, can't spend much money on it but use the dung from their cows and ducks liberally and because they have to live very frugally to cope, a lot of their garden decorations are finds from the tip that they either repair, renew of retizz in some way. It's beautiful and everyone in this district says so.

What you've just described says to me that these supposed gardeners are not growing to the local conditions. That to me does not say '5 star' because it's not approriate for the place where the garden is located.

Here I think you've hit the point where you and I approach gardens differently. I loath those sorts of gardens. Bugs are part of life and they are interesting. and not all bugs are harful but in order to get rid of the ones considered to be 'pests' then there would be nothing else alive except the anal gardener.

Huh?

Reply to
FarmI

Well I killfiled Higgs B. eons ago so didn't see the post about Israel. I doubt taht I missed anythign interesting. I can recommend using your kf.

Reply to
FarmI

:-)) I agree. What's the old saying about gardening? "The more I learn, the more I know I need to learn>" (or somesuch).

Let's

Yup to all that. I know about things I've grown and paid attention to, but there are slews of things I've grown or do grow and I couldn't tell you anything about them to save myself because they just do their own thing and need no input from me.

Reply to
FarmI

The views I state are subjective, they are just my opine without facts. I still hold to these views and could be wrong. My lawn is about three acres, no way am I going hard weed it :) I will live with the weeds. I also do not want to poison the chickens, which does a nubbier to the lawn.

True here, I love the looks of of those five star gardens. But I favor the earth over looks. But I do not loath the others. I like the view of those artificial garden ornaments in gardens also. But I will never use them because of of cost, I am more functionality than good looks.

IPM, Integrated Pest Management.

Dan L

Lost my mind... Often

"Can two different equations describe the same event?" The answer is is yes, It is called "Relativity". Different frames of references can come up with different equations to describe the same event. Depending on those different frames of references both can be mathematically true. Read up on Einstein and Galileo ( Galileo was the first to call it Relativity). This also applies to life in general.

Seen it on PBS, excellent show.

Faith is believing in something in which all the facts are not there.

A quote from President Abraham Lincoln. The statement is not true: some tall, some are short, some are fat or thin, some are smart and some are not. However, I believe all people should be treated equally under a common law. Thou this is not currently in effect.

Reply to
Dan L

Ahh.. You do know me, I do base my life on "reason", that is why I must always keep looking at my presuppositions. If they are flawed the reasoning will lead to false conclusions. Keep me in check, if my presuppositions are flawed.

The reason I state enjoy life, it is my down fall not to do this. I get trapped into a routine that can be detrimental. I make notes to try something new or different every so often.

Reply to
Dan L

In my book organic is safer, benefit the Earth. I do not strive for that five star stellar garden. Many do not care about their own health, pride is at stake, those that want that photo stellar garden will use those toxins. They want that weed free lawn, they want those to say WOW when they see their yard. Should they use chemicals that are not beneficial to the earth, if it's legal they will use them.

Reply to
Dan L

No, I really do enjoy the way you phase those statements. They have those subtle barbs that I find fastening. I use them verbally when I run into those that iI physically run into. Especially to those that have a different political view. An old quote: good artist create, great artist steal :)

The barbs and insults are cool when applied to gardening aspects :)

Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)

Reply to
Dan L

I love the description of your lawn, Farm1. I've tried for years to get daisys to grow here and so far, no luck. (But the golden rod is in bloom right now.)

Kate

Reply to
kate

I am not claiming any authority I am just trying to persuade you, let's drop it.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Thank you for the kind words Kate. I've never understood the 'only one species' 'lawn' mentality. For me, a 'lawn' is just a swathe of grass like growth that keeps down dust and stops your footwear getting clogged with mud in wet weather and thus stops both mud and dust ending up in the house. (But then I live in the country and I don't have nice neat paths and wear nice neat shoes or have nice clean dogs or a nice neat and clean husband. I'm just as likely to need to bring some ailing animal into the house or to have to come in dripping with animal goo depending on the animal emergency du jour).

Reply to
FarmI

organic????? And anyway it's is banned here in Oz according to this article:

FarmI