shallot flowers?

Hi All,

My shallots look like they are getting ready to flower. Do I cut them off as I would a garlic scape?

Many thanks,

-T

if the stems are hollow fold them over. otherwise you can snip them off.

i like onion flowers so i tend to leave them on more often than not and then i cut the heads off before they start dropping too many seeds all over the place.

this spring i buried a few hundred thousand old onion seeds (down pretty deep). eventually the worms and/or fungi will get them digested. i don't think many of them were viable anyways. still didn't want to risk it.

i was going to feed them to the birds through the winter by scattering them on the snow in the grassy areas that we mow, but we had so very little snow i never did that. probably a good thing. i really don't need onions spread all over the place... garlic is plenty enough to keep after.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Thank you!

I cut them off and have been eating on them. My goodness they are STRONG!!!!

Today I am going to make a roast covered in them!