onions, garlic, shallots and water question

Hi All,

On my onions, shallots and garlic, when the stocks start to lose their green and dry out, do I still keep watering them until the stocks completely lose their green? What are the rules?

Many thanks,

-T

"stalks"

once they start dying back i'd ease off on watering and stop once they reach the 1/3 die back stage (where one third of the leaves have gone brown).

songbird

Reply to
songbird

What do you mean by "ease off"? I currently water them once a day. I use my zukes as an indicator. If I do not water enough, their leaves wilt.

not water as much. :) since i don't know your soils/water holding capacity or how deep the garlic is planted and things like local rains, i can't give you a number. i just mean "less than before" and stop completely when they hit the 1/3 leaves die off stage as then they are done as far as i'm concerned and will be lifted for harvest/curing.

if you notice that they are rotting a lot that is probably a good sign that you are overwatering late in their life-cycle. i have that problem here at times because we get rains that i can't do all that much about and the clay soil holds moisture.

i think i have a few weeks yet before i get to harvest the garlic.

tons of scapes now that i need to remove because i sure don't need the garlic to spread any more than it already is. never got back to my project this year of digging more of them out. too many other things going on.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Thank you!

They are about 2/3 leave die off. So I will cut back to maybe once a week or not at all. There is one on the end that is still 100% green. Maybe only he will get water.

My scapes have already come and gone. I live for scapes. They are the first thing I can harvest. And I have to resist eating the straight, especially if I have to see a customers the next day!

-T

T wrote: ...

i have a five gallon bucket of scapes.

i usually chew on a few as i'm pulling them off, but after that i don't usually do anything with them other than bury them deeply and make sure they are covered with a few layers of paper/cardboard so they don't have a chance to grow.

i don't need any more garlic...

songbird

Reply to
songbird