scapes question

Hi All,
My bogatyr garlic just scaped. I cut them all of and they are slated for the dinner table.l
Isn't it a little early for scapes?
And about 1/3 of the leaves are now yellow.
Is it time to harvest?
Many thanks, -T

I don't know where you are; my small patch of hardneck garlic hasn't put up scapes yet, but expect them soon.

Sounds a little (not a lot) soon; I'd wait a bit. Perhaps the plants were stressed for some reason. I know a fellow who gets his carrots to bloom for seed by letting not watering- in the Nevada high desert, where the only water they get is what he supplies- then starting water to trigger their "Ohmigod, I'm going to die! Better start the next generation NOW!"
--
Gary Woods O- K2AHC Public keys at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic, or get 0x1D64A93D via keyserver
fingerprint = E2 6F 50 93 7B C7 F3 CA 1F 8B 3C C0 B0 28 68
T wrote:

yum! i pulled some green garlic the other day and just ate it right there.

it can vary. mine are just starting to get scapes, so it will be a few weeks to a month yet here and since i do let the scapes grow and get bulbules on them i leave them a bit longer than 1/3, but as little as possible since it really does start to affect the quality of the tunic.
i'll have to stop watering them in a few weeks.
so far this year has been about the opposite of the past several years. which is ok but different for sure. a lot of sunshine, things are growin'... :)
songbird
On 2020-06-18 10:30, T wrote:

Huh. This years scapez are very woody. Like a garlic flavored toothpick. Will they still cook up?
T wrote: ...

i've not cooked them before. :)
songbird