planting moving along

onions are done and so i can get on to the tomatoes and peppers. will take me a few days for them. then squash and melons. then beans at last to fill in all the spaces that are left.

this is also the 12th Annual Running of the Worms. :) where i take the worm compost buckets out and use them as fertilizer and then restart them. the title makes me laugh as i can imagine worms running, but it is actually me moving them from in here to out there in the gardens.

i only have one garden left to finish weeding, but i need to get everything planted as soon as i can until i can spend a lot of time weeding. if i do it in parts i can mix tasks and that is better for my body.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

My vegetable planting is done. Did tomato, bell pepper, and spinach plants last night. And zucchini seeds. My vegetable garden is small. Four thirty two square foot beds and 4 whisky barrels for asparagus. Last year grew a lot in containers, this year decided not to. Have other projects to finish. Next year I'll be packing as much into the veggie garden as I can, beds and containers alike.

There are critter feeders and bird baths about fourty feet from the vegetable garden. Most of my weeding consists of plucking out sprouts from the bird seed the squirrels bury in them.

This fall I'm building removable chicken wire covers for the raised beds for use the following spring. I'm not going to win the war with the critters, that's impossible, but I will win some battles and this is one of them. :)

Any chance of row covers I see at gardening suppliers keeping the critters away?

Reply to
fos

snipped-for-privacy@sdf.org wrote: ...

not really, they'd get trampled in the only places they'd have a chance of making a difference. if i were to invest time in that it would be better spent in just putting up better fences to get the rest of the area enclosed that needs it the most. i'd gain almost 20,000 of square feet of protected garden space by running 450ft of 6-8ft fencing, but the requirements of Mom to have nice looking gates makes that cost double or more what it could be. and right now i'm out of extra $ of any type until my retirement funds start coming in. i need to be patient for several more years. :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird