most of the wormies are free

hard to believe it's been five years since i started this project of recharging garden soil using worms, veggie scraps and about anything else i can put in there to see how it breaks down through time.

this past year i've started testing native worm species (that i've found in the gardens when digging) to see how they do in captivity. i already know that our night-crawlers don't do all that well (they may live, but they don't reproduce very quickly) so i've not brought any of those back indoors.

the one bucket of natives was doing very well when i checked it last week so i split that into two buckets. and after emptying my backup worm source (used to restart the buckets i'd emptied) i have set that up to be ready for even more natives. by next year i hope to be able to shift to at least half or so of the worm bins being used to raise natives.

i'll still keep some of the buckets using the mix of worm species i am currently using as they do a great job, but they don't survive our cold or hot spells when put outside.

tomatoes planted, onions planted, peppers planted, tomorrow i hope to get the rest of the small stuff planted and then on to starting the peas and beans (a bit late on the peas - got sidetracked by doing a few other projects, silly me, but they do look nice now that they're done). better put in most of the lima beans first.

we've had a few cold nights, close to frost, i was surprised that the peppers and tomatoes were not affected, but each area is surrounded by rocks and elevated a bit so that would help.

strawberries are coming in faster than i expected. no shortage of them this year... chippies are feasting away.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

We bought some worm eggs from Territorial in January and put them in the raised beds and the fence border beds. Poking around in both the other day and the earthworms seem to be having a party in there. Lots and lots of worms around now, may be what's encouraging our plants to grow so well. Now I need to order something that attacks stink bugs.

Reply to
George Shirley

George Shirley wrote: ...

i'm sure it helps! :) was it a mix of worm species or one?

nothing that i know of. hand picking and dropping them in slightly soapy water works ok, but i don't see many of them around here so i've not bothered to do that for any that i see outside. the ones that get inside are the ones we don't like...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I think it was just common earthworms, would have to look it up in the catalog. If I remember it tomorrow I will. Right now I've got a little dawg snoring in my lap and she hates to be awakened.

We're both tired and boss lady is at the church ladies meeting so we ain't moving while we have the chance to be lazy.

Reply to
George Shirley

...what kind of worm...

it's a dawgs life. :) i know, i get days like that here too, where i'm just tired and it feels good to sit and read or take a nap, or just watch the clouds roll by. sometimes i even remember to think of what the clouds look like or to make up stories about castles in the clouds. my first roomie at college used to draw some really interesting castles in the clouds. i should ask him if he remembers that...

songbird

Reply to
songbird