No blooms on tomato plants

I live in the middle of NC.
I started several types of tomatoes in the house and transplanted them
to the garden around the middle of April.
The Better Boys and Celeberties are looking good and have green tomatoes
on them around the size of golf balls and larger.
I ordered the seeds from a company and they sent me a package of free
seeds for Orange Oxheart. Never raised them before. The package says
76 days, around the same time as the others I have.
The plants are up to about 3 or 4 feet tall. All 3 of them that I put
out. There is not a single bloom on any of the 3. And of course no
tomatoes either. Has anyone else seen tomato plants grow and not put
out any blooms ? If it was not for the other 10 or so plants of other
varities I may have thought some animal had eaten the blooms.
The plants are in wire cages and have not been pruned or suckered.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery
In article , snipped-for-privacy@wn2TkxG.vng says...
They have had plenty of rain on them and I did water them some.
I doubt it is too much nitrogen as I put out some fertilizer and tilled it up after. All the plants are in an area of roughly 20 by 20 feet. So they should have about the same amount of chemicals in the soil as the other tomatoes that are producing fruit like I think they should for this time of year and when I set them out.
I used the 10/10/10 fertilizer. Not sure if I did or did not put any lime out. This is a new garden spot from the years past. Where I had been trying to grow tomatoes had became too shaded due to trees growing higher after 10 years.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery
If it is just the free seeds, well...They may be gmo, and will sprout and grow, but nothing else. my opinion only
Reply to
azigni
In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...
I have ordered seeds from a company in Florida for about 3 years. Only about $ 20 worth each year as I only plant about 15 to 20 tomatoes , a few squarsh and maybe a couple of cucumbers and cantalopes.
Each year I get one or two packs of free random tomato brand seeds, about 10 in each package. All the others have produced fruit. Maybe this year I got a batch of the 'Bulls' in the free pack. They sprouted and are growing just fine, just no blooms or tomatoes on them where the other varieties have golf ball or so size tomatoes already on them and plenty of blooms.
I usually put out about 3 or 4 each of Celeberity, Better Boy, Eairly Girl and a couple of the cherry type plants. Then a couple of what ever the free seeds are.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery
In article , snipped-for-privacy@wn2TkxG.vng says...
I started researching this problem and found out there are plants called 'Bull Tomatoes' (not to be confused with some that are Bull something tomatoes that produce fruit) that for some reason just do not produce any blooms or fruit but do grow well and look good. Maybe I just got unlucky and the 3 plants are all that kind.
This is the first time I have seen that in the 40 or so years I have been growing tomatoes.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery
In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...
That was the first time I had ever seen tomatoes without blooms.
From the quick search I did it seems that most any varity of the tomatoes can do that. It is just the individual odd plant that is called the Bull tomato. Sort of a non scientific term.
As mentioned there are many varities of tomatoes called Bull something or other. They do fine. It is just the rare seed from most any varity can do that. It really struck me as I had 3 plants of the same kind do that while several other varities in the same about 20x20 foot space have tomatoes around golf ball size that were set out at the same time. The number of days on the package to fruit was about the same within a day or two.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery
in nosing around i see that they are stated to be indeterminate plants so they should keep bearing fruits until the season is over with as long as disease doesn't take them out first. so, i'd say let them be and see what happens.
songbird
Reply to
songbird
In article , snipped-for-privacy@anthive.com says...
I am going to let them grow for a while longer. I have a few plants that I am just starting for late tomatoes and I will probably use the OO cages for them. It may be too late now, but some tomato plants die off from something, or they are the simideterminite (my word for some that produce for a while and then die off). However I just do not seethe OO varity doing anything as the other varities that say from around 70 to 75 days planted at the same time have golf ball size or large fruit on them.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Site Timeline Threads