turning tomato plants

This is the first time I have tried growing tomatoes from seeds. They are growing fine. Maybe too early for some, but I am going to put them in large pots and near a garage window as soon as the temperature warms up some to get a good head start on a few of them.

They are inside the house at a window facing south for the maximum sun. I know plants tend to bend to the sun. Should I let them grow that way or turn them every day or two to they will be more or less streight up ?

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Letting them get a breeze is also beneficial to a sturdy stem . Mine are in a S.E. facing window , on warm days I open the window a little .

As Oren said , bury them deep , water early in the day , and I prefer rabbit/goat/cow manure . Chicken is OK if composted for a few months to a year . I've got a compost pile all ready to spread and till into the soil , heavy on the chicken litter .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I never bury them deep. i dig a trench and plant them on their side,.]]

Reply to
bob haller

Thanks for the reply. I have grown tomatoes for many years but always bought the plants from a green house.

I thought I would try to grow some from seeds that I bought. I had moved several years ago and the place where I bought the plants is now about 20 miles away. Thought I would try some from seeds to save the drive and I can get a big head start on 3 or 4 plants by putting them in a large pot in my garage later. Beats paying 3 or 4 dollars for the ones like that. The small plants were not too bad. About 3 for a dollar, but later in the season they often do not have any.

I started a few seeds a couple of weeks ago and they are looking good. Have a few more coming up now. I have been turning the plants as they seem to want to grow about a 45 deg angle to the sun. About another 5 or 6 weeks and it should be safe to move them to the garden area. Last frost around here is about the middle of April.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Ralph , do yourself a favor and get some heirloom seeds . They will breed true from saved seed and you'll never buy seeds again . I have a fairly large cache of saved heirlooms , if you'd like me to I can mail you some . My reply-to is good , send me a list and I'll send you anything I have - enough seed to grow some to eat this year and have seed for next .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Thanks Terry,

Reply sent off list.

My wife and I like a tomato that has a lot of acid taste to it. I don't know the names of any of the hairloom ones.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I have not heard about putting any rooting hormone on the plants. If I can find that, I will give it a try. I do put them in the ground deep. I sometimes use some post hole diggers and about one hit in the soft ground will do it. I run a tiller over the ground and toss out a couple of hand fulls of furtlizer before I get out the tiller. That mixes it up in the ground.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

You sent it to the msn.com email? Hasn't shown up yet , I'll ping you when it does .

Reply to
Terry Coombs