Moderator?

Is there a moderator or someone who has control of this group? I didn't mind the occasional spam posting for drugs, but this morning there were 13 posted. If anyone is in charge, please remove them.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

no, the only hope you can get is that either you find a feed that does have spam filtering or you set up a killfile yourself.

i just mark 'em all read and move on. not worth commenting upon or doing anything.

usenet is decentralized and how each node manages their storage can be determined by their local policies or desires to clean things up like that or not and ignore it (which is what a fair number do).

songbird

Reply to
songbird

No.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

Alterenatively, one might invest a littrle time and,maybe, money in competent news/mail-reading software that supports "killfiles". AKA "twit lists" and it'seasy-enough never to see those posts from individuals or from entire domains such as googlegroups, or gardenbanter, for examples.

Reply to
derald

Hi Paul,

I did not see them, but my new server is Infernal November. Maybe they nicked them:

They are not the best, but they are cheap

-T

I don't see them either but I think my news service wweds them out pretty effectively, too. My local twit list takes care of the rest. BTW: Are you familiar with the (rumored) origin of the expression, "eternal September"?

Reply to
derald

snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote: ...

i certainly am, i've been reading usenet since the early '80s before the great renaming. can't remember when i made my first post. before google groups sucked up dejanews i could find historical stuff easier. now i don't even bother trying.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

"It's moot now. September 1993 will go down in net history as the September that never ended."

It was not an exactly complimentary name

ditto. makes you feel old, eh? Shoot, I remember "pay" bulletin boards but can't remember what the message relay service was called.

Reply to
derald

likely UUCP was the protocol and over phone line modems for some sites until the network got bigger.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I wasn't around at that time but I know "the rest of the story" , as in prior to '93 the surge on usenet was confined to September when all the new freshmen hit campus and discovered it . Wasn't it in September '93 when AOHell came online ?

Reply to
Snag

Snag wrote: ...

yep, and thus the name.