Is a Big Hunk of Steak Worth Almost 2,000 Gallons of Water?

Most constrictors suffocate prey before swallowing it. The only ones I've seen swallow prey alive have been the fish and frog eaters. Racers and their ilk.

Reply to
Omelet

Ok. I guess I have an advantage living in Texas. The last calf I put in my freezer was a range veal, purchased by private sale. ;-)

Best beef I've had in years...

I can't afford to buy imported beef. It's for the rich.

Reply to
Omelet

Fad diets are "snake oil". And I invite anyone who believes that "all food that is closest to its original state is healthy" to go catch and eat a fugu.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Nah. I've followed a "low carb lifestyle" for the past 16 years. My bones are quite dense thanks, but I do supplement a good mineral complex.

The only thing I'm having issues with right now is joint and disk tissue degeneration.

And that's protein, not calcium, as well as too much inactivity. It also has a genetic factor.

I'm currently addressing that problem by trying to get more active, (yes, I confess to having been too sedentary for awhile) and a high collagen intake.

Good thing I happen to adore chicken feet. And they are cheap.

My liver enzymes are also just fine, as is my "cardiac risk" factor. My triglycerides routinely run well under 100.

Again, low carb is not "no carb".

Just low sugar and starch. Neither are necessary in a healthy diet!

Only morons that don't bother to do their homework eat an unhealthy "low carb" diet!

You only get kidney stones if you are stupid enough to drink soda pop instead of water! A high water intake prevents kidney stones. Magnesium supplementation is known to help that too.

I've been studying nutrition for 16 years, primarily (but not entirely) sports nutrition.

You?

Reply to
Omelet

Sorry Om. I was just editorializing Oz in the margins. We all know that you're strapped, I ain't gonna' fuss wit'chew.

The end game stuff is definitely a crap sandwich.

My brother is in San Marcos. Love the water in southern California, when there's not raw sewage in it. Certainly isn't the southern California of my youth. Every 5 miles now, it's the same cookie cutter shopping center and the same traffic jams. Places that used to take 15 minutes to get to now take half an hour by freeway.

Unfortunately, we don't have a monopoly on that but, yeah, Schwarzennegger for governor (M-I-C K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E)? Can't say that Californians don't have a sense of macabre humor. He's worse than the guy we chased out of office, Grey Davis.

Haven't had need for a paper bag for years, but that's another story ;O)

How does that cowboy song go? "I never went to bed with an ugly woman but, I've woken up with a few."

Ketcha',

Reply to
Billy

So you think it's 'nah' because you are still alright?????

Despite your 'I'm alright' attitude, your position is not supported by the current medical advice.

If you have been studying nutrition for as long as you say you have, you should KNOW what the current medical advice is for low carb. The fact that you don't seem to (because you are still alright) does not fill me with confidence.

I've followed a "low carb lifestyle" for the past 16 years. My

And people have been known to smoke for decades and not develop cancer or emphysema but that doesn't mean that smoking is recommended by medicos.

Sigh. Could you show me where I said it didn't? I'm seriously beginning to wonder about the brains of low carbists. Such a diet seems to result in a missing comprehension section to their brains.

Probably, but the more time I spend on usenet, the more I notice how many morons there are in the world.

Really? If that is your understanding, would you like to explain to me how it is that a number of people I know who never (and I do mean never) drink carbonated drinks have ended up with kidney stones? And why are people prone to kidney stones advised to reduce their meat intake and get more excercise if they could just avoid having kidney stones by drinking lots of water?

Is this just another gross generalisation from you that is OK because it's only a throwaway comment on usenet?

Really? If you have, then it hasn't helped your communication skills if you can still manage to post such gross generalisations. I wouldn't consider your advice to be worth taking because I do not trust anyone who shows such a degree of sloppiness in both thinking or exposition of their understanding of a topic.

I've had enough health related issues in the last few years that I needed to know. Luckily for me I can do research, have some halfway decent comprehension skills and have the tenacity to find out what I need to know.

Reply to
FarmI

Most people know to gut a fish before eating. Clearly you don't.

Reply to
FarmI

I do not believe a vegetarian and or vegan is a healthy diet. I have never known a vegetarian that was raised as one from birth. All vegetarians that I know of became one as an adult. I do not believe vegetarian's kids are healthy as well. Before I ever become a vegetarian, I would like to see at least several "four generations" of healthy vegetarian families first (I believe they do not exist).

Also in "Omnivores Dilemma" some where in the book, Pollan said that cows where stupid because they eat grass only. The qualla bear was probably the dumbest animal on the planet, because of their one plant limited diet. Pigs are omnivores and were as smart if not smarter than dogs. The conclusion is - humans have the widest diet of all the animals on this planet, therefore became the smartest animal on the planet.

Sooooo, if you want to become stupid, become a vegetarian :)

's the beef ... Dan Well ... Where's the grass fed beef ... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.

Opinions rebutted by opinions? You're wasting out time Dan. You can do better than this.

Reply to
Billy

"Dan L." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.dca.giganews.co m:

i know several vegetarian kids. some have been raised vegetarian from birth, & a couple chose to become vegetarian at age 5 or so. they are all perfectly healthy normal kids. why do you feel that there can't be "four generations" of healthy vegetarians? humans are omnivores, but that doesn't mean they *have* to eat meat. it certainly doesn't mean they

*need* to eat meat on a daily, or even weekly basis. it's quite possible & not even very difficult to get all ones amino acids etc. from vegetables, beans & grains.

first, cows aren't as stupid as non-farmers think (and they can & will, by choice, eat eggs & small birds/animals, which makes them... omnivores), second, it's *koala* bears & third, chickens are also omnivores & i really, really want to see someone convince me they're super-intelligent. in my experience humans aren't much smarter than chickens...

lee

Reply to
enigma

Opinions based on observations. One could even call them theories. From one who seems to quote from Michael Pollan often, you seemed to over look one his many themes in his books. "Eat everything, mostly plants". Does not state eat only plants. I agree with this philosophy. The human invention of fire, which lead to cooking, probably improved the health of humans.

Time will tell if a vegetarian diet is better. I doubt it. Most vegetarians do not smoke or drink large amounts of alcohol. I would like to see such a scientific unbiased survey of this topic someday.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.

I have to see it to believe it. I am a skeptic at heart. It may take several generations for dietary flaws to show up in one's DNA. It seems that only in a monastery where one finds single people consuming a vegetarian meal where no kids live. Or the local family that lives down the street that just joined the Seven Day Adventist.

If vegetarianism is so great and beneficial to humans, why don't I see large groups of societies of vegetarians that has existed for hundreds of years. Is Darwin at work here again, survival of the fittest?

I may not be a farmer, Several family members are. My family use to owned a local (in the 1960's) slaughter house (I visited many times) that served the local stores and restaurants. I am less that two hundred feet from cows as I type this message.

Again - Cows are stupid compared to humans (on average). Pigs are smarter that cows. The wider the diet, the smarter the animal. Humans have lot more digestive enzymes than any other animal. Humans have the ability to absorb greater amounts of nutrients, therefore smarter.

Got me on the spelling of *koala* :)

It is my view. Time will tell if vegetarianism is a fad or not, like so many other lifestyle diets out there.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.

Ok, I forgive you.

Crap shoot. (pun intended)

Huh. When I visited the beach near San Diego, the water was cleaner than it was when we moved away! Used to be you had to clean the tar off of your feet when you got home from any of the LA beaches.

"God I must have been really drunk! What did you say your name was again?"

Not me, but I've heard it from others.

Peace!

Reply to
Omelet

How about vitamin B-12 without getting it from an animal source?

Reply to
Omelet

Never heard of vitamin tablets?

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Like I said... ;-)

You wanna by a hypocrite vegan by eating vitamin tablets where the vitamins are derived from an animal source?

Reply to
Omelet

Because it isn't so great and beneficial. It's mostly done by people that can't bring themselves to eat animals. Health has little to do with it, it's a moral/personal choice. Every vegetarian I've known was not vegetarian for health reasons - they just didn't want to eat animals. Or, put another way, I've never met a vegetarian that was vegetarian for health reasons. Animals are intelligent, life is sacred, and none of them want to eat them.

I've raised chickens, and I've lived and worked on ranches. Cows and chickens are stupid. Real stupid. Fish are stupid. Some dogs are stupid. All are good eating in moderation. Pigs are smart, but they are still good to eat. Horses are smart, but I never had a chance to eat one.

Observing that there is a relation between A and B does not make A the cause of B. Just because there is a relation between animals that eat a wider variety of food and smarter animals doesn't mean the variety of food caused the smartness.

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics". And people that don't understand what the statistics are really saying (or in many cases, aren't saying).

Reply to
Zootal

"Correlation does not equal Causation".

Reply to
Omelet

Unfortunately, to all too many people, it does :(

How about "figures don't lie, but liars can sure figure"?

Problem with that is that it implies intent, and minimizes stupidity when in fact stupidity far exceeds ill intent.

Reply to
Zootal

"Zootal" wrote in news:e6idnVP5_voLZAzVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

i was vegetarian for 20-someodd years, not because i think eating animals is wrong, but because eating meat made me sick. i managed to get through a meat cutting class in college while vegetarian with no problems. i now eat limited quantities of meats, but only grass-fed or "organically" raised types. commercial meat, like from the grocery store, still makes me sick. my guess is it's something in the feed.

horse is good. kinda sweetish. llamas are pretty smart as well & when i suggested i was going to cull one of mine & eat it, i thought i was going to be hunted down & lynched by the 'llamas are cute pasture pets' people! what an uproar over an animal.

especially because he wasn't being very observant. cattle & chickens, when free ranging, are both omnivores. lee

Reply to
enigma