Is a Big Hunk of Steak Worth Almost 2,000 Gallons of Water?

Tied to bad diet.

Other than fiber, there is no such thing as an "essential carbohydrate". The FDA pyramid is stacked upside down.

There are, on the other hand, essential fatty acids and essential amino acids. This is why (unless you are really skilled at meal building), vegetarianism is generally unhealthy.

I've seen more damage done to pediatric patients that were forced to eat a meat free diet... It's why courts tend to sue parents for child abuse/neglect when they pull that nonsense.

Reply to
Omelet

I'm more of a centrist, and I'm a Pantheist.

And not an anarchist. Even in an Anarchy, the strongest tend to be the leaders.

Other than Usenet, I know of no social group that is a true anarchy. ;-)

Reply to
Omelet

Ethanol drives most people crazy...

especially Native Americans.

Reply to
Omelet

Eating cholesterol does not raise your serum cholesterol either... That is, and always has been, bunk.

Sugar and alcohol, and lack of exercise will raise it higher.

But don't take my word for it... That's what the internet is for.

Reply to
Omelet

Which is more important, human rights or property rights? Does the right to property trump the right of humanity (clean air, water, food, shelter, clothing and, education, free speech, and employment)? The Berrigans believed in human rights first.

I thought that Pantheists were only centrists in California ;o)

Reply to
Billy

Billy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@c-61-68-245-199.per.conne ct.net.au:

or we could just not grain feed steers. cattle aren't made to eat grain anyway & a lot of antibiotic use could be spared by grass feeding steers, with the added benefit of better tasting beef. cattle can graze on land that is less suitable for other agriculture, hilly, rocky terrain, for example...

if Monsanto, Cargill & ADM didn't own the elected officials of the US, agriculture would be far better off & we might become the breadbasket once more. greed is a terrible thing.

lee

Reply to
enigma

Seemed on topic.

Bill heck I might even read Isaiah now that it of free will.

Reply to
Bill

The current pyramid reflects the pressure from Ag lobbists. We produce 30% more calories in the US than we need to consume. The advertising budget for processed foods is HUGE and it is all aimed at getting us to eat more highly processed, large profit margin foods. The other line that ticks me off is that "all foods can fit into a healthy diet", bull pucky. Maybe now that "Corporate American" has sucked most of the money out of our society and so many people are out of work and at home, people will learn to cook again.

Loath though I am to say it Om, you know FarmI was talking about complex foods as opposed to simple refined foods like sugar, soy oil and, white flour. Pollan in his book "In Defense of Food" made the same point. The healthiest diet is organic and free range (if not just free). The stuff in the center of the store (processed foods) could kill you :-(

Given the quality of most commercial meat, I can't see the harm in a vegetarian diet (preferably organic) or mostly vegetarian diet. What do you see as the problem with a vegetarian diet or are we talkin' vegan?

Reply to
Billy

Looks like the promised land from here :o))

Reply to
Billy

Eh, Caught me asleep at the wheel again, you did;o) Quite right, if the cattle stayed in the feed lots for more than six months they would be dead from stomach ulcers. So Mr. and Mrs. Joe public get a steak from confined, freaked out, crap covers, dying steer that is shot up with antibiotics. A steak that still has all the hormonal responses to stress locked into the meat, yum, yum.

Tell this to the average American who watches Fox news and they will think you are a communist.

Reply to
Billy

Just once I'd like to see someone complain about all the water it takes to make one pound of tofu. Or explain how trail mix causes cancer. Or how eating plants is the cruel destruction of another life form.

Anything done by normal Americans is always wrong, it seems, but alternative diets or life styles never come under the microscope. I guess some people will never get out of the 60's.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

Just to be clear, 17,000

Reply to
JXStern

Billy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@c-61-68-245-199.per.conne ct.net.au:

well, there was a curve coming up ahead.. ;)

well, that's why almost all the small packing plants are out of business & it's illegal to sell farm slaughtered meat... people might find out just how *good* real, grass-fed, unstressed meat can taste. that would be a terrible blow to the big producers, you know, and put a serious dent in the drug & chemical company profits. can't have that!

there's a Fox News truck camped out down the road (that tornado in NH last week). i really want to stop & kick them a few times... lee

Reply to
enigma

Good. Let's pass that bill here that prevents company policy from keeping guns locked in your car during your commutes, effectively making you an unarmed victim whilst commuting.

Human rights vs. property rights have been a BIG controversy on that one.

California is like a bowl of Granola. What ain't fruits or nuts is flakes.

I was born and raised there until we left when I was 19... I'm a happy Texas transplant!

Reply to
Omelet

Indeed...

Reply to
Omelet

Ok. :-) Now we just have to convince the middle east to do that. And the chinese...

Reply to
Omelet

The only time I enter the center isles is for spices, vinegar and some condiments. Oh, and tea...

On VERY rare occasions, I may purchase some frozen dinners (like if I'm going to be a way for a few days and I want to make sure that dad gets some balanced meals, and I'm picky about which ones I get), and I also do sometimes purchase frozen veggies. Frozen pearl onions for instance are about 1/3'rd the price of fresh, and keep longer.

I was talking Vegan...

Reply to
Omelet

Nice rant. :-)

Reply to
Omelet

A low-carb diet is not a diet of only animal products. You eat meat and a lot of low-carb veggies such as string beans, wax beans, cabbage, asparagus, salad, mushrooms, broccoli etc. It's not honest to claim a low-carb diet consists of nothing but meat. There is nothing unhealthier than the high-carb diet so many Americans are on. Toss in inactivity and you have obesity, diabetes, heart disease and worse.

Reply to
Marie Dodge

And even there you can find plenty of healthful nutrition rich low-carb veggies.

Reply to
Marie Dodge