Is a Big Hunk of Steak Worth Almost 2,000 Gallons of Water?

Such profligacy! I live in an area where we have had about 7 years of drought. My garden is somewhere between 2-3 acres and I would water on 2or3 days of the week in mid summer.

The ONLY renewable source we have for energy on this ever increasingly tiny planet is the sun and even though that is not going to burn out in our lifetime the technology that has to be used to harness that source has to be manufactured and that uses increasingly expensive and non renewable sources.

Reply to
FarmI

Unfortunately, the food pyramid is still pushing a high carb diet. It's (partially) why there is an obesity epidemic in the US!

Reply to
Omelet

are treated in the slaughtering process.

Not quite right as cattle can still get to the slaughterhouse in a stressed condidition even if grass fed.

reduced antibiotic use, cleaner air and water, no contamination

Please don't go there. As a cattle producer, I prefer it if the US continues to produce the flabby, flavourless, corn fed beef it does now.

Reply to
FarmI

!
Reply to
Omelet

Total idiocy! Desert dwellers in Kalifornia should landscape like they do in Arizona! If I was for more totalitarian laws (which I'm not), I'd say ban lawns.

And golf courses.

Some of it does here, mainly from the HEB chain. Wal-Mart is bad about giving fresh food to the food banks! Only canned and dried goods.

;-)

Old habits. Our only true grossery store here in town closed down years ago.

Reply to
Omelet

Proteins are made up of chains of amino acids. :-) Eggs are safe... The point was that the structures are chemically similar. Subtle molecular differences between compounds make BIG differences.

It's the main reason I don't trust GMO foods.

Reply to
Omelet

Flour and sugar are also responsible for the rise in type II diabetes.

The healthiest carbs are fresh veggies.

Caveman diet style. :-)

Reply to
Omelet

The meat on a carcase is only 50% of the liveweight, therefore you have to look at the liveweight.

Am I supposed to

Rough figures: Cattle are made up of about 80% water and they would drink between 10-40 gallons a day as an adult depending on temperature and feed. Grain fed would probably ingest at the higher range. Steers are killed somewhere between 1 and 2 years old cows at around 6 years.

Reply to
FarmI

That is wrong. Most Asians wear no masks even in heavily polluted countries. Of those who do wear masks, those in tropical climates wear masks in the belief that it will keep their skin pale. Asians in cooler climates wear them to prevent infection by droplets. Only Jains would wear masks to stop killing microbes and that is a relatively minor religion in Asia.

Reply to
FarmI

Obesity is the cause of type II diabetes.

All food that is closeset to it's original state is healthy. There is no single group of "healthiest food" but many people have made huge fortunes peddling snake oil advice to the gullible.

Reply to
FarmI

OK, that accounts for between 1/6 and 1/5 of it...

I think your 10 to 40 gallons is really high*, but I used 35 gallons x

30.5 days/month x 16 months = ~17000 gallons.

(I'm pretty sure whoever wrote that article was just pulling big impressive numbers out of their ass)

HTH ;-) Bob

*yep, way too high:
zxcvbob

That's me

Like the Berrigan brothers

cheers

oz

Reply to
MajorOz

ethanol worst idea ever. if you think it is bad to burn something you dig up from the ground. how much worse is it to clear land, and plant something, convert it to something else and than burn that thing! keep in mind every sub-process is inefficient and pollutes like crazy. also the idea that it drives food prices up for the people who can't afford it in the first place.

arghh... ethonal drives me crazy.

Simon

Reply to
Simon

I know, I wrote stake makes me fat. that is because I don't know how to spell cholesterol. :) that is what my doctor really warned me about in terms of me not eating 1 lb of beef a day (note: exaggeration, before someone pounces on me for being a something or other).

Simon

Reply to
Simon

Ah, another satisfied, if contentious customer ;o))

Reply to
Billy

Ha, he admitted it. He is a something or other. Get the oil boiling ;o))

Reply to
Billy

But if we saved the grain that feed four steer and, mixed it with the meat of a fifth, how many people could we feed then? We could add some oregano and rosemary, an onion and, a little garlic. Serve it with a nice salad and a red wine. People wouldn't have to suffer and we could feed many more people? The future is coming. A new-klee-are war won't improve America's chances of staying on top of the food and energy chain. For every smart guy that we have to solve a problem, China and India have four smart guys. The best we can do is level the field of consumption so that we aren't so freakin' conspicuous. "If our leaders want a war over resources, we should hang all of them", I heard someone say. Personally, I'm a peaceful man but I can imagine the umbrage that some might take for the slaughter of their loved ones for private gain.

Reply to
Billy

How strange, I thought I had quit politics ..... I'll have to move faster before I'm caught again.

I found the source of the 2000 gallons which you might catch in my response up the thread a bit.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

I once knew a woman who (over a few drinks) had me well confused because she said repeatedly 'scotch makes me fat'. I thought beer and general over indulgence makes you fat. By the fourth round I had penetrated her thick Scots accent and correctly understood that what she had been revealing was 'scotch makes me fart'. I offered to get her a Laphroaig to test this but she declined.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Just out of curiosity...