How much sun does garlic need

I want to plant some garlic in big pots. Does garlic need alot of sun?

Reply to
Romy Beeck

Well, I'm not sure where you are but I'm in zone 5 in New York and I had my garlic in the ground last October. Typically, it's planted in the fall but you may be able to start it now. I don't really know as I've never done it.

My garlic currently has leaves about 15-16" high and will probably start to scape in a month or so to be ready in July.

Anyhow... on to your question, garlic likes sun. Mine is in full sun all morning and well into the afternoon.

Reply to
Steve Calvin

Yes. Worst of all worlds: poor solar collection efficiency, lousy competitor, heavy feeder.

Gary Woods

Plant it in full sun now, but depending on what type you are planting, you may not be able to harvest it till next year. In July, or when ever you are ready to harvest it, dig a few, and check to see if they have divided into cloves. If not, replant them and wait until next year. I plant elephant garlic and if I don't plant it during the Aug or Sept before harvest, most of it wont divide into cloves by the time I am ready to harvest.

I would suggest picking out a permanent place for garlic, plant a lot, pick what you need and leave the rest. I usually harvest mine in July, cure it, separate it into groups: 1-seed for next year (When I am ready to plant, I break them apart, plant the biggest and use the rest), 2-entries for the fair and 3-those I am going to eat or give away.

To cure garlic or onions, lay them out in a shed or garage (out of the sun but still 70 to 80 degrees F.) where the air can circulate around them, and leave them for 10 to 12 days. I usually wash the dirt off of mine after digging but before curing. Others say leave them in the garden a day and then break off the dirt and cure. I usually grow sweet onions, so they don't store over a month anyway, but I still have a lot of garlic left from last year.

I also plant several cloves around each fruit tree. There is an old wives tail that it keeps some of the bugs away from your fruit. I also plant one clove between each of my cabbage, cauliflower, and broccoli plants to keep rabbits away. I wont promise that either of these will work, but I haven't had any rabbit damage since I started doing it.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne