garlic time

at last it has gotten to the ready stage for lifting it.

forecast was a slight chance for rain today but it looks like all went north of us.

i have a few other flower bulbs that are ready to be moved today too so i'll do that and check on the climbing bean runners to make sure they are going up the fence and not on other plants.

then weeding until it gets too hot out.

all in all, a good plan. :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I planted my garlic and onions a bit late this year, so, what should I look for to know when the garlic is ready to pull?

Reply to
Muggles

When about half the leaves have turned brown, it's ready. Any later, and you won't have as good wrappers (which are the bottoms of the leaves). At that point, it won't grow any bigger anyway.

Reply to
Gary Woods

OK, Thanks! Last time I checked, everything was still green, so, I'll keep an eye on them.

Is it the same way with onions?

Reply to
Muggles

Onions, IIRC, you wait for the tops to fall over, then pull and dry in the sun. Sun is bad for garlic, though...I hang mine in an open shed to cure for a few weeks.

Reply to
Gary Woods

hubops

ok thanks for the info.

Reply to
Muggles

Thanks! Great info.

Reply to
Muggles

How soon will you replant? (I am about to harvest too. Well the remaining ones -- I couldn't wait!)

I've been harvesting cucumbers, purple hull peas and another black-eyed pea, hot peppers, and I'm waiting in anticipation for our first ghost peppers to ripen!! The habaneros have baby peppers on them, now, but once they start doing that they seem to turn into weeds as far as producing peppers.

Reply to
Muggles

T wrote: ...

it depends upon your area's bulb feeders. in my area nothing bothers garlic so i can replant right away (it naturally starts regrowing roots in a short while after the bulbs have formed) but you can wait up until about when the ground freezes if you have critters that try to eat all your bulbs.

in such a hot and arid climate you might also be better off waiting until nearer to the wet season to replant.

those are my thoughts. :)

i actually pulled the garlic up a little bit early, but i had time to do it yesterday before i had to do some other things. the bulbs are nicely done and i didn't have to scrape the clay off so i'll be happy with them. looks like a nice harvest... :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Garlic from the garden. What a treat! Proof God loves us (not beer). :-)

It is really hot right now. In six weeks, it will be back to moderate. I will wait till then.