garlic time

at last it has gotten to the ready stage for lifting it.
forecast was a slight chance for rain today but it looks like all went north of us.
i have a few other flower bulbs that are ready to be moved today too so i'll do that and check on the climbing bean runners to make sure they are going up the fence and not on other plants.
then weeding until it gets too hot out.
all in all, a good plan. :)
songbird
On 7/19/2017 7:45 AM, songbird wrote:

I planted my garlic and onions a bit late this year, so, what should I look for to know when the garlic is ready to pull?
--
Maggie

On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 10:28:39 -0500, Muggles

When about half the leaves have turned brown, it's ready. Any later, and you won't have as good wrappers (which are the bottoms of the leaves). At that point, it won't grow any bigger anyway.
http://www.avg.com
On 7/19/2017 11:30 AM, Gary Woods wrote:

OK, Thanks! Last time I checked, everything was still green, so, I'll keep an eye on them.
Is it the same way with onions?
--
Maggie

On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 11:53:17 -0500, Muggles
Onions, IIRC, you wait for the tops to fall over, then pull and dry in the sun. Sun is bad for garlic, though...I hang mine in an open shed to cure for a few weeks.
http://www.avg.com
On 7/19/2017 12:10 PM, Gary Woods wrote:

ok thanks for the info.
--
Maggie

https://www.garlicfarm.ca/garlic-harvesting-pospisil.htm
On 7/19/2017 12:40 PM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Thanks! Great info.
--
Maggie

On 07/19/2017 05:45 AM, songbird wrote:

How soon will you replant? (I am about to harvest too. Well the remaining ones -- I couldn't wait!)
On 7/20/2017 3:45 AM, T wrote:

I've been harvesting cucumbers, purple hull peas and another black-eyed pea, hot peppers, and I'm waiting in anticipation for our first ghost peppers to ripen!! The habaneros have baby peppers on them, now, but once they start doing that they seem to turn into weeds as far as producing peppers.
--
Maggie

T wrote: ...

it depends upon your area's bulb feeders. in my area nothing bothers garlic so i can replant right away (it naturally starts regrowing roots in a short while after the bulbs have formed) but you can wait up until about when the ground freezes if you have critters that try to eat all your bulbs.
in such a hot and arid climate you might also be better off waiting until nearer to the wet season to replant.
those are my thoughts. :)
i actually pulled the garlic up a little bit early, but i had time to do it yesterday before i had to do some other things. the bulbs are nicely done and i didn't have to scrape the clay off so i'll be happy with them. looks like a nice harvest... :)
songbird
On 07/20/2017 04:38 PM, songbird wrote:

Garlic from the garden. What a treat! Proof God loves us (not beer). :-)
On 07/20/2017 04:38 PM, songbird wrote:

It is really hot right now. In six weeks, it will be back to moderate. I will wait till then.