What would cause really fibrous pea pors and snap peas?

This years crop for me is really bad, especially the snap peas. You pick them, even ones that are still small, and eat them. Chew, chew, chew, and you end up with a mouthful of green fiber.

I am using the same bed as alternating previous years, with no real change in my technique as far as I know. The weather here in Seattle was, and mostly continues to be cool this year.

Reply to
Bob F

Sound like your seed has gotten crossed with a shelling pea (English pea).

Reply to
Steve Peek

snap beans like green beans? picking them too late. for pea pod type beans, also picking them too late. i try to get them when the flower is still attached (dried up but still there).

too cool doesn't seem likely, but perhaps lack of sunlight could influence them somehow (i don't quite see how, but i'm willing to learn something new :) ).

is the patch getting more shade than previous seasons?

ah, here it has been hot hot hot so all the wax and green beans have been much tougher than they were last year. things are finally cooling off a little for a bit and all the beans are flowering like mad.

today i was out sampling the pinto beans and they are excellent. if i weren't interested in keeping some rounder green beans that come in earlier (for canning and making three bean salad) i'd never plant them again as i like the pinto beans much better for taste and tenderness. these particular pinto beans are climbing too so they are wandering around, but i don't care. :) there might be a bush variety with the same taste and texture. don't know for sure.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

It would seem your seed was either mislabeled or accidentally crossed with English (shelling) peas. You may have to resign yourself to shelling them out for the peas.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz