Miniature orange tree

Hi I brought a miniature orange tree a few months back. Tree seems very healthy, I have had some problems with a bug I think was called scale. Followed instructions to remove and think i got rid of it.

My problem is that it has now had a growth spurt, loads of new leaves have come through. Which would be great apart from the new leaves are huge they are more than 4 times bigger than any of the other leaves on the tree. They are also a different color. Lighter green and look completely different to the old leaves. They have ripples on them. Will try and attache some photos of the old leaves and new leaves, but new to forums.

Reply to
mazda28

Where are the new leaves attached? Are they from the top of the plant or below the bud union?

David Hare-Scott

Thanks for the reply.

They are at the top of plant, they have grown on the end of the branches. I have 1 new shoot with huge leaves there is also 3 more shoots on the end of the other branches that seem to have the same leaves coming through.

Reply to
mazda28

You have the same root system feeding fewer leaves. They will grow more quickly, and darken with time. Unfortunately, they are more vulnerable to insects after quick growth. If they are palmate, then something is amiss.

Reply to
Billy

How do rectify this? Do I have a major Problem?

Reply to
mazda28

As long as it's growing new leaves, it should be fine. Avoid giving anymore nitrogen to the plant. You don't want it to try and do a growth spurt going into Fall. Phosphorus, or potash would be OK.

Reply to
Billy

keep a close eye on it for more scale. it's a tough critter.

the leaves will darken eventually.

mismatched foliage will not harm the plant. leave the old leaves alone unless you have some other reason to remove them (pruning to control shape or flowering). eventually they will fall off as the plant grows out and shades them.

i advise you to pick up a good library reference or two on the topic of miniatures and raising them in your climate/area. it will help you a great deal in the future. :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Reply to