still too cold here

last night got down pretty cold and we had a bit of snow so there won't be any gardening for a few weeks at least.

also a lot of rain a few days ago, ground is way too wet for me to be out there doing much.

this time of the year it is mostly a matter of waiting and trying to get a few projects done before the weather gets nice enough again.

eventually peas and onion sets will go in. sometime in the next three weeks. i hope. :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Similarly here but waiting on Autumn/Fall plantings, still to warm and no sign of rain but just right for a bit of weed pulling and some maintenance.

Mike

Reply to
Bloke Down The Pub

It snowed here today

Snow today in Eastern Ohio as well. Should melt by tomorrow, but there's some slight accumulation.

Reply to
Michael Trew

Snow again. The weeds are LOVING IT. Your weeds out in force yet?

Yes, I have lots of whiskey weed (knotwood?) popping up again. I've been very hesitant to use Roundup, but I'm seriously consider it, because I'm absolutely sick of the stuff taking over my hillside every year, no matter how often I sickle it (the hill drops off to a busy road, WAY too steep to mow).

Tomorrow is 80 degrees, same as Sunday. First nice weather of the year, in my opinion. I'm loving it! Time to hack down some old overgrowth at my new garage (separate parcel from my house a few blocks away) before the vines and thorns take over again -- it hadn't been maintained in a decade before myself and my step father bought it at Sheriff's sale.

Reply to
Michael Trew

I am about to buy a bunch of rock salt.

T wrote: ...

it still isn't full on planting season here yet either. just the more cold tolerant plants can go in now for a few more weeks yet.

mid-May and on more warmer weather plantings can go in. i guess that is where the word Maybe comes from?

songbird

Reply to
songbird

On sale for next year, or do you live in a cold climate?

Reply to
Michael Trew

I remember snow once in early June when I was in Cleveland.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I am fighting weeds an banks but do not want to kill the stuff that belongs there and have been trying Preen. I put it on before using premerg on the lawn as some weeds come in early.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Water softener salt, not road salt.

T wrote: ...

do you water gardens with this in it?

songbird

Reply to
songbird

My front yard is the target. My decorative rocks are like a forest of weeds. My neighbors use round up. But I want to avoid such.

My grandparents always used potassium in their water softener, instead of salt.

Reply to
Michael Trew

And it snowed again yesterday!

T wrote: ...

we've has a few frosts the past few days. i don't see any near frost temperatures in the forecast for now but that can change. it has been pretty dry here. some chance of rain for tonight that wasn't in the forecast all week (of course i have an excavator project that might happen tomorrow) up until this morning.

i really need to get some peas planted and perhaps i'll try to get some early beans planted too - some seeds i have about 15lbs so i'm not in danger of running out of those and they do have a great fresh bean too along with the dry and shellies.

mainly though i need to get the peas planted and of course plenty of weeding to catch up on.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

If I plant my onion seeds a little too early, are they in danger of dying do to the cold?

T wrote: ...

if you plant when it is too cold the seeds may take longer to germinate or they may rot before sprouting.

they do best when planted when it is warm enough, most people will grow them by starting them in pots to plant out later after the worst of the cold is past.

take a hint from the plant and when it sets seeds and drops them. not early. mid-summer to later to grow in the later summer and into the fall so they can be ready for the next spring when the warmer weather comes around again.

songbird

Reply to
songbird