Re: What happened to McIntosh Apples?

I'm not sure. We've always bought McIntosh apples (I assume that's what you mean, and not Macintosh computers) for apple pie, and I can't say that I've noticed a difference. Perhaps the time of year is the issue. I know that apples are a lot more fresh in the fall, and at this point, many of them may have been in cold storage for many months (not as fresh).

Cross-posted to rec.gardens.edible

Reply to
Michael Trew

It's not Mac season and they never held that crispness long. Remember those mealy, tasteless apples from school lunch? Those were Macintosh.

Get them in September/October and you'll find what you remember. ;)

Reply to
Wilson

Wilson wrote: ...

normally would not eat them out of season even to know what they were like.

yep.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

McIntosh apples are big sellers in Vermont, and most of the Northeast. I have two Mac apple trees in my front yard that my mom planted in 1965, and they still bear beautifully. I didn't know, but pretty much all hybrid varieties have a little bit of MacIntosh apple strain in them! They might not store as well in the more southerly states, and people aren't seeming to be so fond of the tarter varieties of apples these days, so maybe that's a reason you're not seeing them as much.

Reply to
nightingale2550