Cooking Apple

Can anyone recommend?.

I have a apticular criteria.

My wife wants a cooking apple. The problems are:

It needs to be able to trained to grow along a trellis. It should be self fertile. And it should be able to withstand harsh winters (I live high up so imagine Scottish Winters). I hope someone can suggest a vaiety and if possible a supplier.

Cheers

Mark.

Reply to
MSR

I assume you reside in the UK. Apples common to a US climate and growing conditions may not be suitable to yours, although most apple varieties will be very cold tolerant. Ripening time may be more relevent. Also self-fertile cultivars may be a problem - there are very few truly self-fertile apples and even those will produce better crops with another cultivar to cross pollinate. I'd look for Cox's Orange Pippin. A good, all-purpose apple and as close to self-fertile as they get. Another possible choice is Liberty, however that may be more of a North American variety and is only partially self-fertile. And any apple can be grown along a trellis or espaliered - you just need to get it young enough and train it.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal