Winterizing Hydrangea?

With winter on the horizon I need to know what to do to protect my non-flowering hydrangeas. I've heard of chicken wire filled with leaves, but these are rather large plants -- if I mulch, how deep should it be? Do I have to cover the leaves as well? What about burlap, does that cover the whole plant? I'm hoping for some blooms next year, I've missed them.

Mary

Reply to
Mary

The chicken wire filled with straw or leaves is the road to go. Mulching will not protect the stems from dieback or the flower buds freezing, which is what has prevented their flowering. Burlap can work but it is not an ideal solution - snow weight on plants under burlap will cause breakage of the canes. If you do a google search on winterizing hydrangeas you will get dozens of sites which will give you explicit directions on how to overwiner hydrangeas in colder climates, some including pictures. Or you could opt for one of the new, very winter hardy cultivars like 'Endless Summer', which blooms on old and new wood.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

My hydrangea is very large--4 or 5 feet. I still use chicken wire around it and fill with leaves to completely cover it. If I don't protect it, it certainly will not bloom. I'd think you could use burlap instead of the chicken wire, but still fill it with leaves. Mulching helps the plant, although that won't protect the buds needed for next year's blooms.

Reply to
Phisherman

TYVM Phisher and Pam!

Mary

Reply to
Mary

Hi Mary, The way you treat your hydrangea will depend on which one you have an where you live. You should find this site very informative as well.

-- Newt

Reply to
Newt