New Zone 4 Gardener Needs Help

I just put in a bunch of perennials, with little knowledge of what I'm doing and I need some general advice for the rapidly approaching winter.

The plants I have are things like phlox, tickseed, blanket plant, some kind of chocolate plant (named apparently for the color of it's leaves), etc. What do I do with these things for winter? Should I cut them down and cover them with mulch? Leave the foliage and cover them with mulch? Just forget them until spring?

All of them are supposed to be hardy for zone 4, if that makes any different. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reply to
Guppas

Walk about your neighborhood ask questions.

Talk.

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

Reply to
presley

Since you just put them in I would give them some time to root. So do nothing except cut of any flowers that might be blooming.and make sure they get enough water. after the ground freezes I would I would bank them up with some mulch or more earth. and either cut the leaves or leave it. your choice. if you don't cut it then you will have to cut it in the spring and clean up the area. hopefully next spring you will see little shoots coming up. good luck

Reply to
Lynn