figs

I ate fresh figs for the first time in my life in Yugoslavia. we camped under a fig tree and stood on the car to pick figs until I couldnt eat any more. I have been determined to grow my own fresh figs. without much result ... until now.

I have a celeste fig in a large container. move it into my heated garage over winter, back out to the back yard in spring. I finally got a ripe fig, smaller than a large marble. the first one went to DH who "thinks" a fig tastes like those dried up shriveled things in bag. he went wild. I got the second one. heaven.

these figs arent large. is that due to the "tree" being rather small or the type of fig? do fig trees drop leaves due to temp or photo period? Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

go to

and order a hardy fig for your zone. They fruit on new wood. Mine lives outside. I started it from a rooted branch nine years ago that my friend, Mary Emma gave me when we unwrapped her fig tree of the snow fence filled with leaves to protect it from winter. The lower branches had rooted in the mulch of leaves thru winter and early spring. I've not mulched mine in seven years. And I have more figs than I can eat right now................. madgardener

Reply to
madgardener

Got three delicious figlets from my Negrone tree, which only grows to 8-10 feet and is supposed to be hardy in NO. zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec

Reply to
Judy Cosler

interestingly, a "figa" is Italian slang for giving someone the finger. Maybe because a very priapic Hermes was often set in orchards as a proatective agaomst thieves. zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec