Charlie Self's tautology

Charlie's new sig: "To create man was a quaint and original idea, but to add the sheep was tautology." Mark Twain's Notebook

"Tautology?" Geez, Charlie, you're getting pretty swanky and ritzy. Most of us are ignorant and don't know what that means. Could you cease and desist?

Bob Schmall Not one shred of evidence exists that life is serious. Richard Feynman

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Hey, Charlie is a writer and as such, he is supposed to know these things. Me, I would't for a second ask him to quit his quotes for fear that he might accuse me of being ignorant and not knowing what he had said so I won't!

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

Mark Twain was a profoundly funny guy, but the sentiment may have been more profound had he mentioned the sheep first.

Reply to
Swingman

Naaaaaaa

Reply to
Myxylplyk

"Tautology" - (N) The use of different words to say the same thing twice. ie. Charlie's Twain quote and Bob's appeal that he join the "ignorant" herd is, well, tautological of Bob. ;-)>

Reply to
D. Winsor

Bob Schmall responds:

Probably not. It's good for you. Besides, everyone in my last English class knew what it meant. And besides that, ol' Sam Clemens was the writer. I'm just the poster.

Charlie Self "To create man was a quaint and original idea, but to add the sheep was tautology." Mark Twain's Notebook

Charlie Self

Swingman responds:

And possibly more accurate.

Charlie Self "To create man was a quaint and original idea, but to add the sheep was tautology." Mark Twain's Notebook

Charlie Self

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

Gee, I used to know what it meant. Now I have to wait for a follow up like most of the rest of yer!

James snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com

Reply to
brocpuffs

"Most of us are ignorant and don't know what that means."

Reply to
mel

OH! He's just trying to top Bill Buckley. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

Lew Hartwick responds:

No one tops WFB at over-use of complex words. But I didn't write this one. I just posted it.

Charlie Self "To create man was a quaint and original idea, but to add the sheep was tautology." Mark Twain's Notebook

Charlie Self

Now that's a true fact, as opposed to a false lie.

Reply to
Bob Jones

Check the following link. :-)

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Mr. Winsor decyphered ....

That's a relief. All I could think of was that line from a certain Woody Allen movie.

Joe

Reply to
BIG JOE

Heehee--and you're the only one who caught it.

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Ain't you clever? You're the second one who noticed it.

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Damn, given that Charlie is living in West Virginia I kinda assumed the quote had a sexual connotation :)

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

Dave Hall responds:

You mean like a Scotsman's kilt when he's sheep herding?

Charlie Self "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure." Mark Twain

Charlie Self

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave