finally some snow in the forecast

today starts off with some ice coating everything,
the trees, rocks and ... all sparkling in the sun
and wind.
still no snow on the ground, but later this week
we finally have some snow coming. i sure hope so -
never really know until it gets here on the ground.
i hate going into this part of winter without some
snow cover.
otherwise, it has been mostly cloudy too often
and not much sun. maybe ten days since September
have had sunshine. it doesn't really bother me
as much as some others.
also starting to try to get out to walk more
often when the weather permits - i need to build up
my endurance now that my achilles tendon has had
some time to heal. i won't be going until later
after the ice melts off the roads.
in the meantime i'm keeping busy enough with
projects and stuff[tm]. :) i have a book to work
through coming that should keep me busy for
several weeks.
songbird
Reply to
songbird
We had our first snow cover of the season last Sunday; only about 2-3 inches but I had to shovel a path to the greenhouse for my wife. They're predicting a deep freeze this weekend, with overnight lows in the single digits, then warming up again next week.
Paul North of Baltimore, Maryland
Reply to
Pavel314
Northern DE, this is our second but first dissipated rapidly. This Sunday also required shoveling. That's enough snow for me for the year.
Reply to
Frank
they are predicting a freeze to the further south. hope it doesn't mess up too many gardens.
songbird
Reply to
songbird
i've had to shovel a few times, but nothing major. this time of the year i welcome the exercise.
songbird
Reply to
songbird
We have had rain then snow, then rain, then snow, then rain over the past two weeks.
When the rain melts enough snow to see the garden. It is green. Not with anything I want to eat mind you. With WEEDS!!!
I have six gallons of vinegar waiting to pickle them, but it required dry ground or it won't work. So I have to wait for everything to dry out. In the mean time, the weeds keep growing. Dang!
And show is forecast for Wednesday through Friday again.
At least my favorite fishing won't dry out again this year.
Reply to
T wrote: ...
yeah, we've had rains, ice, melting, then we're back to some cold days again for a few with a warm up coming later this week. right now we have about eight inches of snow on the ground and under that is some pretty nasty ice that will need to melt before i'll feel safe walking around the house. i see enough mouse tracks in the snow along the foundation that i really want to get some traps put out before they start up again inside the wall. i haven't heard them yet - but it is only a matter of time if experience has anything to do with it...
i would rather see snow and cold for another six weeks. too early warm weather is often a trap for the fruit trees or the strawberries.
i'm just glad i was able to get up on the roof in between the latest rounds of snow/ice/melting to deal with the tv/internet antenna coming down.
scrape 'em enough and they go away. :) all that free worm food too! really though having weeds is a good sign that Momma Nature wants to grow things in your soil. even as poor as it might be that is much better than some places will provide...
yes, it is looking good for this season for the arid SW. the Sierra snow pack is looking good and the same with the Colorado river. i hope it keeps up on this trend as it will give a well needed break to both Lake Mead and also through the rest of the region and into California.
it would be really great if some water could get to the Colorado River Delta again.
songbird
Reply to
songbird
Have a close look at those weeds. Often the lamb's quarter(chenopodium sp.) and red root pigweed (amaranth) appear early along with upland cress. All are edible and tasty both in a salad or as cooked greens. When I was able t o garden I looked forward to the wild edibles appearing. before planting ti me. Steve
Reply to
peek0703
EAT THE WEED!
Lamb's quarter. Should I be so lucky. Okay, it is ~20% some kind of wild carrot and ~80% grass. You know the stuff that refused to grow when the garden was a lawn.
Reply to

Site Timeline Threads