Friday the 13th!

Ah! So now I know. But since the actual amount depends upon the diameter of the glass (and the diameter of the finger), it's not terribly accurate or easily reproducible.

I don't measure much when I cook either unless it's a canning recipe or baking, especially bread. My great grandmother could create cakes that were so light they'd almost float away and she never measured anything. I remember her version of measuring something would be to use a clean tea cup to dip into a flour sack and throw that into a bowl. If I tried that method I wouldn't have a cake, I'd have a door stop.

Reply to
bluechick

Several years ago, someone (probably her daughter) asked my wife for he pumpkin pie recipe. But she didn't know. So the following Thanksgiving, she kept notes, tick marks in some unit (probably teaspoons) of spices iteratively added until "right."

The final listing might send pumpkin companies running away in fear, but it makes a tasty pie. And neglected leftovers have sometimes been in the garage fridge for about 6 months with only signs of drying, none of spoiling.

In previous lives, I cooked turkey and made pumpkin pie. Since marrying, I am not allowed to consider either. And given the results my wife delivers on both, I'm cool with that.

Reply to
Drew Lawson

:-)) Imagine wrapping your hand around the base of a the sort of tumbler from which someone would drink neat whisky or whisky and water or whisky and ice. Your fingers wrapped horizontally around the glass would probably be a bit over half an inch high. That is what they mean by a finger of rum.

Reply to
Fran Farmer

Yep, David explained to me too. Makes perfect sense but it's still an imperfect measurement. The diameter of the glass and the finger will be close but never match exactly from person to person. So, it's one of those things like a "pinch." Close enough for most recipes. Thank goodness it's not rocket science. :D

Reply to
bluechick

'Gas mark' conversion chart:

John