all good things must ...

Bob F wrote: ...

i have poor storage conditions so the squash won't last as long as they could, but also after they've cured and ripened up some this is now a good time for me to get them processed before i get distracted by other winter tasks.

the worms also really appreciate all the goodies. :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Bob F wrote: ...

they sure are if you don't have a high water table or other hazards. here we have a crawlspace but it is way too warm to be used as storage space and also it is hard to access.

i grew a hulless seeded squash this year and it was great for roasting those seeds. i wish i had a lot more space as they were not too hard to process. the flesh of the squash was fairly bland and not worth using at all, but the worms took care of that.

there's at least one squash available that has both the hulless seeds and edible flesh but i'm going to see if i can get my own cross to come about. with all the bees around here it should not be too difficult. i already have a good cross that might work out so we'll see how they go. large seeds, large squash, plenty of flesh for eating and not too wet and slimey inside so that makes it nice for seed harvesting.

i'm going to be planting more of these next season to see how they go and if they'll become stable.

wish i had more room... always more projects to keep me busy. :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I have heard to wipe some white vinegar on squash to make the last longer instorage

T wrote: ...

if you get it cured well and don't damage it then it should last in storage without any other treatments. some people go as far as washing and using bleach but i don't do anything other than making sure the squash is dried out and cured and then treat it gently so as to not cause further problems.

alas, i have gremlins here that move things around and aren't all that careful so even my best efforts can be ruined. such is life. :)

aside from how you treat a squash and how it is cured then there is the basic shelf life of a squash and some just are not that good of keepers compared to others.

songbird

Reply to
songbird