Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

My chestnut trees
Other tree is behind big tree. After planting the other tree I discovered it was maybe a foot or so in neighbors yard which is completely overgrown. This picture is other end of yard where trees fell...
2
2

october already!
i'm not sure where September went. too quickly by for sure... garden news, still working on the first strawberry patch. we had hot enough weather that i didn't accomplish much last week. finally we...
50
50

Cajun gumbo
One of the good things we brought back to Texas from our twenty odd years in Louisiana is gumbo. Basically for the folks out there that don't know about it is pretty much a stew or soup. This one is...
3
3

Fall garden
Looks like wife has mostly finished her fall garden. She pulled out and potted the still growing plants, mostly tomatoes, then took out the old man made soil, ie. mixture that is worn out. Added...
10
10

freeze alert
NOAA has a freeze alert out for tonight. Poop! Now I have to go pick everything, ready or not!
15
15

Rain
Some good came into our world this afternoon, headed out to the grocery store to pick up a few items and the bottom fell out of the sky. Managed to get to the store with all that rain following and...
4
4

Why can't I grow a regular tomato?
Hi All, I have seven cherry tomato plants. For the forth week in a row now, I have harvested what I estimate to be 100 cherries (each time). My legs are actually sore from stooping! (I would say "make...
9
9

warm and dry
this past week, not much rain, temps up into the 80s. next week looks to be about the same after a few days cool off down into the 70s. i'm ok with that, it would be nice to have one cool day tomorrow...

rose hips
Hi all ; There seems to be a bumper-crop of rose hips, this year - I've never harvested them before - any special advice ? Are there any to avoid ? I will google-search some web sites for info, but...
2
2

Blue Pumpkins
Our two varieties of blue pumpkins both ripened this past week. The big, lumpy ones in back are Blue Hubbard squash and the more pumpkin-shaped ones in front are Queensland Blue. They weigh about 11...
8
8

My Unknown plant
Followup. That plant that was suppose to be a Lemon Cucumber turned out to be an "Acorn Squash". Way too high carb and glycemic load for anyone in my family to eat. So it goes in the bin. Squash,...
2
2

Today's due diligence
Those of you out there that don't have fire ants consider yourselves blessed. We're in the progress of pouring boiling water down our biggest pest in the gardens home. This fire ant village comes to...
59
59

some recent pics
decorations: top 2 tasks: bottom 2 (before and after) critters: bottom 1 beans: bottom 2 songbird Things of interest that have happened or gotten done around here... Some of the other animals that...
10
10

Square Pumpkin Failure
Looks like my attempt at growing a square pumpkin didn't work. I built a box that was just a little too big for the pumpkin to get trapped in; I'll try a smaller box next year. Paul
3
3

one more day
and i'll be done with the major redo of the north garden. i was hoping to have it done by the end of August and lo and behold... :) i've finally weeded myself into the north- western corner. there's...