Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Dishwasher salt deposits
Our dishwasher has started leaving a film of salt on cutlery, showing as a dull coating and rust spots. It has been happening since I topped up the salt. I undoubtedly spilled some in topping up the...
3
3

New gas fire
I want to have a gas fire installed in my sitting room. I'm very taken with the new type that doesn't require a flue for venting the burnt gases away. Has anyone on this NG any experience of such a...
5
5

Toilet cister flush valve
We have a close-coupled toilet cistern in our utility room which leaks. It doesn't leak externally, just into the bowl - the cistern overfills and water leaks into the bowl via the overflow. This is...
5
5

A warning and a question
The warning Yesterday my wife reported strange wet areas in some of the kitchen cabinets. I tracked it down to the flexible pipes feeding a Smiths kickspace heater leaking and the water being...
2
2

Main floor reinforcement....
Ok, I actually have two problems. Problem One: I have a Cape Cod style house with a crawl space. My main floor was getting bouncy. So I decided to run a series of 2"x8" joists under the existing floor...

Home building
Hi Could anyone recommend a newsgroup, forum or other on-line resource for self-builders? Thanks James
3
3

best time of the year / weather to apply outdoor wood preserver?
Hi, I have two wooden troughs I want to apply preserver to before lining them and filling with soil. Can I do this on any dry day when the wood is reasonably dry or should I wait until spring or early...
1
1

Offset 90 degree toilet pan coupler
Happy New Year all. Getting moving with downstairs loo refurb (New Years resolution courtesy of Mrs Midge). I'm aware that you can get an offset toilet pan connector (I actually have one of those for...
5
5

Floor varnish
Three or four years back I put down a solid oak floor in our lounge, after sanding it down I finished it with water-based polyurethane floor varnish from either Screwfix or Toolstation. This was fine...
15
15

Can't find GFI
My house was built in 1973. None of the outlets in my bathrooms work. I can't find a GFI. The breaker isn't tripped. I bought this house ~3 years ago and it was renovated before I bought it. I'm...
2
2

Prviate Water supply problems
WATER SUPPLY PROBLEM DURING FREEZING CONDITIONS THE PIPE TO THE PRESSURE SWITCH WAS FROZEN RESULTING IN NO WATER AFTER UNFREEZING THE SWITCH STARTED HUNTING AND I IMMEDIATELY THOUGHT THAT THE PRESSURE...
38
38

life of PVC (water pipe) glue?
I have a house built about 1990. I noticed some water damage under the kitchen sink. There seemed to be damp streaks down the p-trap, so I thought it was the rubber seals. I got a set of o-rings from...
2
2

An ethos I try to follow
Pinched from another place but equally at home here. http://blog.makezine.com/upload/2010/12/best_of_make_online_2010_-_most_pop/ifixit-repair-manifesto.jpg

Imersion Heater Buzz
When switched on my immersion heater buzzes, it buzzes then stops and starts again, it is heating all the time but something vibrates intermittently I think it may be the thermostat vibrating in its...
8
8

How to find path of water pipe into house
Apart from having to dig the garden up (which is near enough impossible due to being totally frozen after recent -20C temperatures), is there any way to try to identify the path of the incoming mains...
7
7