Wickes button flush cister problem

I've got a Wickes cistern that has the button top flush on the top. I guess it's about 5 years old now. The problem I'm getting is that fairly often once flushed, the mechanism will stick causing the water to run straight in and out of the cistern instead of filling it up.

If I press the button a couple of times the mechanism frees and fills. Unfortunately the rest of the family don't and I've been told to "Get it fixed".

Can anyone give me advice on what I can do? Do I have to replace the entire mechanism or is there some way of repairing it?

Thanks

Reply to
David

Have a look at the Screwfix catalogue. I have a similar cistern to yours and being a "doubting Jeremiah" have had a few thoughts about what to do if the amazing contrivance in the cistern ( the likes of which I have never seen before) go wrong. There are several possibilities in the SF catalogue, though nothing identical at the last inspection, including one with a remote button flush which I felt may be OK. I've not fitted any of them but that's what I would try.

Other than that you could try Wickes suppliers/ logistics organisation called Mark One and ask them if they can offer anything. I suspect that all they can offer you will be a complete cistern, if it's still in the current range, that's what they did for me when the operating button wouldn't fit the cistern lid due to lid distortion during firing.

Whatever mechanism you adopt we would all be pleased to hear the solution.

When fitting the new drop mechanism use clear silicone to seal it to the ceramic (other things affect plastic in the long term), and ensure all parts all clean and dry prior to applying the silicone.

Best of luck.

Reply to
Nobby

. Dont know the number , but call your local Wickes and they will give it to you.

Reply to
Shut up