Air button flush

ISTR about five years ago when I bought a concealed cistern they all had air button flushers. I am pretty sure I replaced this one (just the button, not the cistern or flush mechanism) after a couple of years when it stopped working and now it is bust again. Are they always such rubbish? What do I do now? I wouldn't mind fixing it so it doesn't need attention again.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

I've had mine approx 5yrs and it's never given me any trouble, I assume it's a plastic bellows type pump and probably a plastic bellows type flush valve opener at the other end of the tube. I've not investigated it. I 've always pushed the button gently so as not to put too much pressure on the bellows, and advised other members of family to do likewise. Similarly with taps only close them enough to stop water flowing, and not screw them down hard. Don

Reply to
Donwill

Local bar had a brand new toilet block built with 7 stalls in the ladies, 2 in the gents - all boxed in cisterns with these abominations. One has failed already - a drunk in the ladies somehow prised the buttons out of the push.

Trying to track down a resonably priced replacement supplier is proving difficult.

They appear to be made by Grohe (?) and cost around =A325 each. I see trouble ahead :-(

Dave TMH

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The air pipe connections seemed to be a good fit on ours but in desperation I cut a small amount off the pipe. It has now been happily working for about 2 years.

Reply to
Invisible Man

I went to diagnose one of these that stopped working in a house rented out by a friend. This was after a plumber came out and failed to fix it (apparently it worked just once after he left). He had added some packing to the bellows in the cistern, but had failed to correctly diagnose the fault which was the bellows in the push button was split.

I couldn't fix it (Sunday evening), but took the bellows out and left them with the owner to go and get a replacement, and fortunately he knew where the rather non-standard loo came from. He had to buy a complete remote flush kit (push button, hose, and both bellows), although the bloke at the wholesaler said it's only ever the bush-button bellows that fails. I don't know what it cost.

I wonder if air switch components would work with remote flushes?

much prefer the idea of a foot operated flush anyway, if you're going to the effort of doing remote flush.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Local bar had a brand new toilet block built with 7 stalls in the ladies, 2 in the gents - all boxed in cisterns with these abominations. One has failed already - a drunk in the ladies somehow prised the buttons out of the push.

Trying to track down a resonably priced replacement supplier is proving difficult.

They appear to be made by Grohe (?) and cost around £25 each. I see trouble ahead :-(

Dave TMH

That's what I have found, or £85 for an all metal shiny one LOL.

Presumably I can replace the insides of the cistern and fit a cable flush or something? Does anyone know?

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

See

lol Don

Reply to
Donwill

Found this on Ebay, Might be suitable perhaps?:

luck Don

Reply to
Donwill

I wonder how many of these you have to buy for a minimum order? might be worth it for a plumber and advertise on ebay.

Donwill

Surely that's the job they're designed for, according to CPC?

John MacLeod

Trying to track down a resonably priced replacement supplier is proving difficult.

They appear to be made by Grohe (?) and cost around £25 each. I see trouble ahead :-(

The one I have may be repackaged by Grohe but is a Herga air switch with the part number on it.

See my other post in this thread for lower prices and multiple orders.

HTH

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

Exactly

Exactly

I much prefer the idea of a foot operated flush anyway, if you're

That's the one! Sixth item down the Herga 6442

the part number is embossed on the one I took out. Considerably less than the £25 from Grohe although still annoying when just the rubber bellows is split.

Thanks mate.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

[...]

This one looks very similar to the one in the Grohe unit

Dave - The Medway Handyman

The Medway Handyman

I much prefer the idea of a foot operated flush anyway, if you're

It's not really Plumbers work is it - a bit borderline. Not pipe bending and stuff.

Reply to
John

Determined not to spend another £25 I have thought long and hard and performed a staggering, incredible, 5minute, 50p bodge/repair as follows:

Remove air button switch thingy, disassemble and find that black rubber bellows is split and non repairable.

Take old latex rubber prophylactic and insert said bellows into teat end, using donut roll of extra condom to jam it all securely back into housing.

Pee and flush. Job done.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

Well done Tim, a repair in the best traditions of the DIY fraternity, necessity being the mother etc, I wonder whether we should have a list of the most inventive, cheap and effective solutions to problems. This one would go towards the top of the list I think.

Cheers Don

Reply to
Donwill

My imagination is racing away... In a couple of weeks, Aunty Flo will push the button, only to find a semi inflated durex pops out the side with an accompanying farting sound.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel